Samsung Pay launching in South Africa

airborne

Executive Member
Sorry haven't read the article, what equipment will merchants need to receive Samsung pay, is it like snapscan or similar where you scan a code to pay on device?

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Sorry haven't read the article, what equipment will merchants need to receive Samsung pay, is it like snapscan or similar where you scan a code to pay on device?
The way Samsung does it is quite interesting, you can use it even if the terminal isn't NFC enabled because Samsung along with NFC uses MST, Magnetic Secure Transfer, where your phone emits a magnetic signal that tricks the pay terminal into thinking a card was swiped.

airborne

Executive Member
The way Samsung does it is quite interesting, you can use it even if the terminal isn't NFC enabled because Samsung along with NFC uses MST, Magnetic Secure Transfer, where your phone emits a magnetic signal that tricks the pay terminal into thinking a card was swiped.
That's crafty, which Samsung phones support that?

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
That's crafty, which Samsung phones support that?
I don't know actually, the S6 was the first if I remember correctly, all the S phones after the 6 have it, the Notes should have it as well, I don't know about the other devices.

I don't know actually, the S6 was the first if I remember correctly, all the S phones after the 6 have it, the Notes should have it as well, I don't know about the other devices.
here we go:

Samsung Pay works with the Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, S7, S7 Edge, S6 Edge+, S6, S6 Edge, S6 Active and Galaxy Note 5. It is also available on the Gear S2 (only for transactions on NFC terminals) and Gear S3.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
With this, SnapScan and Zapper you don't even really need a wallet anymore.

I've seen videos on YouTube where the person tested Samsung Pay in one of his local stores with an old register and it worked no problem just like if he was swiping his card.