Samsung Pay South Africa

ECHLN

I still cannot register my card.
Have you managed to sort it out?
ABSA has now deactivated tap and go on my card and nobody knows how to sort it out.
There's a greater issue it seems. Even beyond Samsung Pay

isie

Honorary Master
Had my Samsung Pay "we don`t do this here" experience at a MrP Sports today (which is funny because the normal MrP right next door has no issues) , so Im about to tap my watch and the teller sees , pulls the machine away and cancels the transaction (Im like WTF), refuses to let me pay, I ask for the manager and he claims some BS story that head office said they not allowed to accept because it doesn't reflect on their system :cautious: (like i said right next door it works) , so I say cool show me the email/ and he is like umm ill need to find it, so i say ill wait, still waiting he says you , it wont work so no point, so i say let me try.
and.... it works, so im still waiting for you to find the email and guy is like you see it was a while ago and umm no one said anything...:cautious:
Social Media I go....

ECHLN

Had my Samsung Pay "we don`t do this here" experience at a MrP Sports today (which is funny because the normal MrP right next door has no issues) , so Im about to tap my watch and the teller sees , pulls the machine away and cancels the transaction (Im like WTF), refuses to let me pay, I ask for the manager and he claims some BS story that head office said they not allowed to accept because it doesn't reflect on their system :cautious: (like i said right next door it works) , so I say cool show me the email/ and he is like umm ill need to find it, so i say ill wait, still waiting he says you , it wont work so no point, so i say let me try.
and.... it works, so im still waiting for you to find the email and guy is like you see it was a while ago and umm no one said anything...:cautious:
Social Media I go....
They really need to train these people

Park@82

Honorary Master
Social Media I go....
A cashier at a small store refused to let me tap my watch the other day. He said they don't accept it because of fraud or something like that. I won't buy form them again, so their loss...

isie

Honorary Master
They really need to train these people
The way they looked at me, like how dare you even try , like WTF
A cashier at a small store refused to let me tap my watch the other day. He said they don't accept it because of fraud or something like that. I won't buy form them again, so their loss...
I would honestly like to know how many cases of fraud from Samsung pay
I'm guessing
Zero

nkonzosims

My local garage wpnt let me pay using samsung pay because of "fraud" lmao

Charlesjjm

I was at Shell the other day and their normal tap and pay machine was not working, only the old one. The cashier said that I cant tap, I have to use a card, so I told her I will show her how to do the transaction. She was sceptical at first, but when it went through, she was majorly impressed.

People dont know the difference between tap and pay and Samsung pay, and management isn't bothered to teach them. If I am not in a rush I show them how it works and tell them certain phones can pay without tapping. I haven't had a situation where they absolutely refused to let me use my phone.

ECHLN

I was at Shell the other day and their normal tap and pay machine was not working, only the old one. The cashier said that I cant tap, I have to use a card, so I told her I will show her how to do the transaction. She was sceptical at first, but when it went through, she was majorly impressed.

People dont know the difference between tap and pay and Samsung pay, and management isn't bothered to teach them. If I am not in a rush I show them how it works and tell them certain phones can pay without tapping. I haven't had a situation where they absolutely refused to let me use my phone.
Same. I think quite a few other people use the service where I stay so they are never really surprised. Whenever they ask what I'm paying with, I say my phone and I don't get a big "What!?" anymore.

isie

Honorary Master

Lol I had opposite at Cotton On (IIRC) I asked the guy can i tap (watch so only tap works) He said no tap isn't activated, but if you want to use Samsung pay it works , and i'm like no not on mines unfortunately , just the phones - he was like please try :ROFL:

Charlesjjm

About eighteen months later Nedbank finally decides to join the party. So it is basically then just Capitec that is not supported, all the 'big banks' are on it now.

pezulu

Expert Member
I successfully used my S3 Frontier to tap and pay at our local Spar on Wednesday evening, just after setting up my Samsung Pay with my Nedbank Mastercard.

isie

Honorary Master
Social Media I go....
So I was wrong The email exists - i removed the surnames of the recipients - but seriously this is what Mr price actually thinks?

1581925248123.png

Also as mentioned i queried it on Social Media - and after a while I got this response.

We sincerely apologise for the confusion caused by some of our stores. Although the Mr Price Group has explored the option of incorporating the Samsung Pay payment method into our current tender options, we are still investigating the fund transfer from the service provider to Mr Price as well as the data security for our customers. The payment is indeed accepted by the payment devices in our stores, but there are numerous back-end processes that are being explored before we make this an accepted payment within our stores. We will reiterate the Group’s position around the use of the Samsung Pay, with the Woodmead Home and Apparel stores, as well as the greater Mr Price Group stores, to avoid any further incident.

We completely agree that retailers must make the shopping experience as convenient as possible for our customers and are working on making all legitimate forms of payment, accepted in our stores.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further queries or concerns.

Thanks and regards.
Why the Actual F#$k are they investigating the tender transfer - its the banks that transfer the money to them nothing different from any other type of Credit or Debit card payment.

Again if Piet pompies little store is able to accept it why can't they.
Seriously how backwards are they?

ECHLN

This is very strange because I’ve used it multiple times at the regular Mr Price.

isie

Honorary Master
This is very strange because I’ve used it multiple times at the regular Mr Price.
Oh trust me i have as well - My issue occurred at Mr P sports - literally next door to a Mr price where i make many purchases using samsung pay.
that's Also why i found this even more ridiculous

ECHLN

I am still unable to use Samsung Pay on my Note8.
Your phone is either rooted, was rooted or was bought in a region that doesn't support the South African version of Samsung Pay. It's working fine on my Note8.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Your phone is either rooted, was rooted or was bought in a region that doesn't support the South African version of Samsung Pay. It's working fine on my Note8.
Purchased from Amazon.com. You are the first person to give me a logical explanation.

ECHLN

Purchased from Amazon.com. You are the first person to give me a logical explanation.
Yeah. That’s the reason. Sorry about that. In future, make sure you get the European version at the very least; that has the same CSC as the South African version.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Yeah. That’s the reason. Sorry about that. In future, make sure you get the European version at the very least; that has the same CSC as the South African version.
I got the International version. No big deal.