Samsung Pay to add support for 5 more banks in 2019

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Samsung Pay to add support for 5 more banks in 2019

Samsung has announced that it will add support for five more banks to its Samsung Pay platform next year.

Speaking at a media event in Johannesburg, Samsung Pay Project Lead Philip Henning said the company expects to partner with five more banks in 2019 - including Investec and Discovery Bank.

FNB is pretty much pointless as their app already supports tap and pay with any NFC device.
90% of time it never works, that's only problem with it lol

It also does not support MST, so it only work on nfc card machines, checkers will never update there card machines to support NFC.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Very few POS actually support NFC at the moment
I spent a week in South Africa and never had to draw cash as I was using Apple Pay for everything.
Obviously not Woolies, but heaps of other places support NFC payments.

nivek

Executive Member
FNB is pretty much pointless as their app already supports tap and pay with any NFC device.
Their app is a nice back up for when you forget your wallet but its not convenient for every payment, it's not as slick/responsive as Samsung pay. It might be my old mobile (S7) but it takes a minimum of 30 seconds to open the app whereas Samsung Pay is integrated into the launcher, opens in seconds and works with almost all POS whereas with FNB it's a gamble.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Can't wait for the FNB integration!!!! Specifically bought a compatible Samsung device for Samsung pay and only after realised FNB wasn't onboard :ROFL:

whatwhat

Executive Member
Their app is a nice back up for when you forget your wallet but its not convenient for every payment, it's not as slick/responsive as Samsung pay. It might be my old mobile (S7) but it takes a minimum of 30 seconds to open the app whereas Samsung Pay is integrated into the launcher, opens in seconds and works with almost all POS whereas with FNB it's a gamble.
You don't need to open the app, the phone just needs to be unlocked. Under your Settings go to NFC and set FNB as the payment mechanism. That way when you tap it will automatically go through the app without needing to open it.

nivek

Executive Member
You don't need to open the app, the phone just needs to be unlocked. Under your Settings go to NFC and set FNB as the payment mechanism. That way when you tap it will automatically go through the app without needing to open it.
Ah! thanks! Thats great, ill test it out later