Samsung plans great specials on their TVs

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
This is because Samsung would like to create space for their 2012 range of TVs that are set to go on sale from April.
What do they mean by that? Is the idea to clear out the old stock by offering specials, or is this for the new stock?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Last time they had a special we were less than bemused,they seem to think Indian style pricing schemes means more people will buy

*If you don't know what I mean: Overcharge by 50% then offer a 20% discount and call it a bargain

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
My parents went to look for a new TV at Makro this weekend. The sales guy said that there will be a sale on the Samsung Smart TV's soon (the 2011 models) and that they should wait. The 46" 3D LED Full HD Smart TV should go for around R10k (same price as the non-smart ones on special now). Current price is around R14k.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Last time they had a special we were less than bemused,they seem to think Indian style pricing schemes means more people will buy

*If you don't know what I mean: Overcharge by 50% then offer a 20% discount and call it a bargain

I think they should rename it South-African style pricing schemes because that's how pretty much everything works here, especially electronics.

scuzzy

My parents went to look for a new TV at Makro this weekend. The sales guy said that there will be a sale on the Samsung Smart TV's soon (the 2011 models) and that they should wait. The 46" 3D LED Full HD Smart TV should go for around R10k (same price as the non-smart ones on special now). Current price is around R14k.

Currently, Dion Wired has the 46D6000 for R10 000 - seems the other retailers will just sort of match this price...

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
I thought R6k for my Samsung UA40D5500 was a great deal. :)

I was going to get that last week, but then i thought i'd wait for the new models to bring down the price of the current D6000 range.

How are you finding it? Is text as sharp as a pc lcd screen when using pc mode?

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Good news! My pc screen packed up last night. Might as well get a TV as replacement. 32" screen, yum.

snail

Expert Member
awesome, im looking at buying a new tv soon so im going to wait and see who gives the best deals.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Currently, Dion Wired has the 46D6000 for R10 000 - seems the other retailers will just sort of match this price...

Jeepers, they must have dropped the price in the last couple of days. Already sms'd parents the details and told them to buy it. Doubt Game or Makro will go cheaper than R10k for that model.

BGE

Expert Member
what's this "LED picture quality" they speak of? :/ local dimming?

Just a thought... wouldn't backlit provide more even lighting than the thinner side-lit LED screen? I would think the side-lit would be brightest at the screen edge and slightly dimmer in the centre.

Found this online:
4. Edge-lit TVs are really thin, but uniformity suffers.

As I said, the key benefit to an edge-lit LED-backlighting scheme is that manufacturers can make thinner TVs. However, the downside is that the backlighting isn't quite as uniform. With edge-lit displays, if you put a white image up, you may notice that the outer edges of the screen appear brighter, or "hotter." Also, when you put up an all-black image, the edges of the screen will appear lighter (grayer).

Rest of the story here

So a backlit LED with full array local dimming sounds like the better option. Who cares if it 5mm thicker, you watch TV from the front, not from the sides!

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
I was going to get that last week, but then i thought i'd wait for the new models to bring down the price of the current D6000 range.

Couldn't wait anymore, had to get a tv. :p

How are you finding it? Is text as sharp as a pc lcd screen when using pc mode?

Yes, it's very good and I am using the VGA port for now. Don't have a HDMI cable yet, but don't see the need to get one. I had the UA46D5500 before and used a HDMI cable on that one. It was still clear and readable, but the 40" is perfect.

boerseun

How about selling monitors only, with no tuners, so that users do not have to have a TV licence when buying one.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
Couldn't wait anymore, had to get a tv. :p

Yes, it's very good and I am using the VGA port for now. Don't have a HDMI cable yet, but don't see the need to get one. I had the UA46D5500 before and used a HDMI cable on that one. It was still clear and readable, but the 40" is perfect.
eish, waiting is hard. :D

Hopefully i dont have to wait much longer. Thanks for the info.

NinjaTic

How about selling monitors only, with no tuners, so that users do not have to have a TV licence when buying one.

I second that - it's almost the same situation as Telscum charging a normal line fee even if ADSL is all you want! With an HDPVR there is absolutely no need for a tuner - who uses a tuner these days anyways - you gotta use an antenna! Pfft!