Samsung readies a 2GHz dual-core smartphone for 2012

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Isn't smartphone evolution just wonderful? We've only just arrived at the dual-core stages of the mobile evolution and we are just about to witness another huge leap forward. Samsung has just revealed what their plans for the future hold and there's plenty to get excited about.

A high-ranking Samsung official, who has unfortunately remained unnamed, went on record saying that his company is planning to release a 2GHz dual core CPU-equipped smartphone by next year.

Said official then mentioned that it would have been easier for the company to manufacture a 4GHz single-core CPU than a dual-core one of half the frequency, but given the battery life limitations they found multi-core CPUs to be the better option.

Samsung is also considering selling those CPU to other manufacturers under their own Exynos-brand.

Considering the performance of that first Exynos chip there might just be quite a lot of interest. Whether it'll be worth threatening the sales of their own smartphones is a whole other story of course, but it will be told another day.

One thing's for sure - these are some exciting times for smartphone lovers to live in.
Source

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
I can't help but question the need for a 2Ghz processor.
Surely a 1Ghz processor with an Adreno220 is good enough?

I can't think of any application on a mobile phone that warrants the NEED for a 2Ghz processor.
Can anyone here?

mercurial

MyBB Legend

I can't think of any application on a mobile phone that warrants the NEED for a 2Ghz processor.
Can anyone here?
They'll probably start developing apps and games that require higher hardware specifications to be able to run them smoothly.

Rands

Expert Member

Can anyone here?
my first PC had a 'huge' 8 mb ram back in the days. I still remember the salesman saying ' Thats MORE than u will ever need' :)

DCS

I think this would be awesome. Add in wireless HDMI to create a portable HTPC type thing and they would have a winner!

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
They'll probably start developing apps and games that require higher hardware specifications to be able to run them smoothly.
Android 3.0 already specifies HW acceleration as a requirement.
Though, 2Ghz!!! There are only a handful or two mobile devices with a 1Ghz processor, why now in less than 36 months do they want to promote the need for a 2Ghz device?

Perhaps they market their mobiles to the Ghz-is-king bunch.

It's not the processor speed that needs to be raised, but the RAM.
Processors, and the GPU's they use (SGX/Adreno) are very powerful at the moment. I think the limitations lie on the memory front.

K

kingrob

Maybe Samsung might first want to sort out the horrible Touchwiz UI before dumping faster CPUs on the market.

We all know good hardware is useless without brilliant software running on it.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Maybe Samsung might first want to sort out the horrible Touchwiz UI before dumping faster CPUs on the market.

We all know good hardware is useless without brilliant software running on it.
+1
Successful ecosystem = good hardware + good software @ 50/50

Bismuth

Expert Member

Can anyone here?
Didn't Bill Gates, or someone, say 640Kb RAM is enough? :D

B