Samsung reveals 128GB DDR4 RAM

DailyTech

Samsung 128GB DDR4 RAM

Samsung starts mass producing industry’s first 128GB double data rate-4 (DDR4) memory in 128-gigabyte (GB) modules
Is all your material just merely copied from Tomshardware ? Without having to actually do much work except copy/paste/cut ?
Wish I could have an easy job like that.

Thor

Honorary Master
I can run my entire os in ram

Holy gosh golly

vinodh

Expert Member
I can run my entire os in ram

Holy gosh golly
Just for interest, how would you go about actually doing that? Say for example that I have 32GB RAM, then I could in theory run Windows from it. What would be the process to follow to actually get this working? I have 16GB RAM now in my desktop and could run Ubuntu from it. I would love to give it a try just to see if it works.

Thor

Honorary Master
Just for interest, how would you go about actually doing that? Say for example that I have 32GB RAM, then I could in theory run Windows from it. What would be the process to follow to actually get this working? I have 16GB RAM now in my desktop and could run Ubuntu from it. I would love to give it a try just to see if it works.
I have 32Gb of ram and would actually want to know this too :sly::sly::p

Thor

Honorary Master
Ubuntu can actually run in ram using the toram option included in the Casper scripts

Thor

Honorary Master
However correct me if I am wrong, but come to think of it, I think you would see better performance gains by using a RAM disk as a temporary storage area, or even placing entire applications onto the RAM disk and running them from there. What I'm trying to get at is, it's not the operating system that we truly need to run from a fast storage media - it's the applications that you have to load afterwards. Once most operating systems are loaded, there is not much disk access from the OS itself, but rather, the applications you use.

Thor

Honorary Master
Not sure if this would work, but you could try creating a VMware VM and saving the virtual HDD to a RAM disk

If it worked, that would give you an idea of the speeds I suppose

Dan C

Honorary Master
Not sure if this would work, but you could try creating a VMware VM and saving the virtual HDD to a RAM disk

If it worked, that would give you an idea of the speeds I suppose
This is server RAM, all our servers are actually running in VM's.

Impulse_One

Now expect more sloppy software programming/design not accounting for memory that so long ago was only couple GB of memory... And 16GB is enough for consumer computer will no longer apply...

falcon786

Executive Member
I will die
Haha my home laptop has 16gb of ram and the difference is noticeable.The only way to keep work PC clean and usable is to re install windows every 8 months or so when it gets too slow,surprisingly after that it works like a bomb.

I did try adding a 4gb ddr 2 stick but PC just wouldn't boot with it so stuck on 2x 1GB sticks on this MB it seems,maybe I'll upgrade the mb/cpu/ram in a couple months