Samsung SmartThings Hub v3

Greglsh

Hi

does anybody know if the Samsung Smartthings hub v3 works in South Africa. By this I mean you can buy it from Amazon.co.uk so that you get the correct Z-Wave frequency and then set the hub in SA. I have read on 1 site that they block the location this can be setup from.

Has anybody bought this and setup from scratch in SA.
Thanks

adielk

Expert Member
Just bought it ... delivery soon ... hope what you say not an issue

adielk

Expert Member
Decided to cancel my order. Rather go the wifi route based around google assistant.

adielk

Expert Member
Hi

How is it working out?

On amazon says not outside USA?

I have Wyze cams, ultralink smartplugs, and couple of sonoff products.

Thinking of smart lights but lots of fluorescent tube fittings. So only lounge and bedrooms feasible for smart lights.

And google products ... chromecasts, google hub, google speakers etc.

Aardvark

Hi

How is it working out?

On amazon says not outside USA?

I have Wyze cams, ultralink smartplugs, and couple of sonoff products.

Thinking of smart lights but lots of fluorescent tube fittings. So only lounge and bedrooms feasible for smart lights.

And google products ... chromecasts, google hub, google speakers etc.
Hi Adielk you need to get a European version.
This works with our stuff.

adielk

Expert Member
Hi Adielk you need to get a European version.
This works with our stuff.
Thanks ... yep saw UK compatible ito zigbee? and Voltage but was hoping poster could give feedback on how its in practice.

Eg Google Home hub and Wyze streaming only works in USA.

Apparently streaming to tv or chromecast should work but struggling so far with that

Similarly it seems routines not as smooth as in USA. At least got access to it by changing to English US (no guidance on google help but figured it out by trial and error).

adielk

Expert Member
Some say gen 2 works in SA if you create a UK account but gen 3 gets blocked?

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Thanks ... yep saw UK compatible ito zigbee? and Voltage but was hoping poster could give feedback on how its in practice.

Eg Google Home hub and Wyze streaming only works in USA.

Apparently streaming to tv or chromecast should work but struggling so far with that

Similarly it seems routines not as smooth as in USA. At least got access to it by changing to English US (no guidance on google help but figured it out by trial and error).
Wyze streaming to chromecast or fire tv works just fine on my side. Is this what you are referring to?

adielk

Expert Member
Wyze streaming to chromecast or fire tv works just fine on my side. Is this what you are referring to?
Yes. And online it states, only works in USA.

I'll try it again as I set up again a chromecast last night on my smart tv hisense ( no built-in google).

Bought it late last year but think its an older Hisense model since 65" but their own casting app.

adielk

Expert Member
*cough* Home Assistant *cough*
Too many things to set up. HA is brilliant in terms of customisation and future proofing.

But I just want a plug and play option. Samsung Smartthings seems best for that.

Only issue for me is that I only have wifi devices. No zigbee or zwave, so no real need beyond Alexa or Google Assistant.

adielk

Expert Member
Managed to stream it but slooow ... virtually useless stream. On wyze app its ok but on tv via chromecast

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Too many things to set up. HA is brilliant in terms of customisation and future proofing.

But I just want a plug and play option. Samsung Smartthings seems best for that.

Only issue for me is that I only have wifi devices. No zigbee or zwave, so no real need beyond Alexa or Google Assistant.
Its a lot easier than it used to be to setup. I have mine running under a virtual machine on an old laptop.
But yeah its the only type of solution that will work long term. Openhab etc are the same but HA has the best community support.

adielk

Expert Member
Its a lot easier than it used to be to setup. I have mine running under a virtual machine on an old laptop.
But yeah its the only type of solution that will work long term. Openhab etc are the same but HA has the best community support.
I'll read up but dont want to have to buy anything eg server.

alqassam

Expert Member
Hi

How does HA work with Hisense smart tvs? Bought hisense TV in 2019 but think an old one because doesnt have google assistant built in.
I need to experiment with this

adielk

Expert Member

I have absolutely no clue . So will gladly follow your experiences.

adielk

Expert Member

I have a 65A6500UW. Besides some apps Netflix, Youtube, Showmax etc. Seems bit of dumb tv.

Added a chromecast for some voice control. But need to still get to grips with whats possible.