Samsung to sell smartphones without chargers in the box - Report

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Samsung to sell smartphones without chargers in the box - Report

Samsung will begin selling smartphones that do not include a charger in the box next year, according to a report by Korean website ETNews.

An industry source told the publication that while the details and timing of this change have not been confirmed, the company is currently working with partners to exclude chargers from the packaging of certain smartphone models that will be launched in 2021.

grok

Honorary Master
Shrinkflation, everyone's doing it why not mobile phone companies too?

If it bothers you buy Xiaomi, much better value for the same functionality, else live with it since you're part of the problem.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
I think it's a good thing, to be honest. I've a drawer full of old chargers and cables that are just waste and I've no idea what to do with them. Can't just trash them, apparently, and we have no decent electronic waste recycling here. Last thing I need is another bloody charger.

R13...

Honorary Master
I think it's a good thing, to be honest. I've a drawer full of old chargers and cables that are just waste and I've no idea what to do with them. Can't just trash them, apparently, and we have no decent electronic waste recycling here. Last thing I need is another bloody charger.
The new S20 from Samsung comes with a charger that doesn't fit the standard USB connector on the brick side. So, it looks like you'll have to buy more chargers for the drawer. Unless they make an adapter.

Nobody Important

Executive Member

C4Cat

Honorary Master
The new S20 from Samsung comes with a charger that doesn't fit the standard USB connector on the brick side. So, it looks like you'll have to buy more chargers for the drawer. Unless they make an adapter.
I got one with my note 9 already, it was first introduced for the note 8. It's the type c standard. Also came with 2 adaptors for converting old style cable to new and vice versa. Personally I don't mind paying an extra R200 for a charger if I need one and not getting it with the phone. Or just buy the cable. They should make it an optional extra though, I guess. Most newer phones will support wireless charging too

C4Cat

Honorary Master
why not? I mean its more money in the bank for them.
Unlike apple, Samsung uses a standard so you don't have to buy a charger from them. You'll need to buy a charger once every 5 - 10 years, maybe, or longer, for R200. Not such a big deal, actually, and if it cuts down on electronic waste, I'm all for it. There's enough trash in the world.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Unlike apple, Samsung uses a standard so you don't have to buy a charger from them. You'll need to buy a charger once every 5 - 10 years, maybe, or longer, for R200. Not such a big deal, actually, and if it cuts down on electronic waste, I'm all for it. There's enough trash in the world.
And, all android devices are moving to the usb "c" connector, so even less worries here.

Supervan II

Expert Member
why not? I mean its more money in the bank for them.

soon enough they will sell cars without tires, go and buy a set before you can drive it.
First thing that sprang to mind! Or sans an engine! :laugh:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
soon enough they will sell cars without tires, go and buy a set before you can drive it.
Go buy a new VW product. It's nearly there already. You get the idea that a steering wheel is an optional extra according to them.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I guess I won't be buying Samsung in the future and/or any products from companies that do not include accessories. I have also noticed that on big brands the warranty in years has also decreased compared to others.

its all a shell game, give you one thing but take something else way in turn.
so yes, give you more features on the phone, but take away the battery being removable so you can change it yourself.

and so it goes on, give you dual sim, but not give you the eject tool,
or this, not include headphones and a charger for your phone

next will be make the box out of recycled boxes they have gotten back from people,
save more resources, even though the phone itself is wrapped in layers of plastic.

Forza

Wireless charging is all good and well but not convenient when you need to charge your phone and use it at the same time.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Shrinkflation, everyone's doing it why not mobile phone companies too?

If it bothers you buy Xiaomi, much better value for the same functionality, else live with it since you're part of the problem.
No headphones with Xiaomi either though

eg2505

Honorary Master
No headphones with Xiaomi either though

soon though you wont get anything, headphones, cables, charger,
just a box with reams of warning notices, plastic and your phone.

we all know its coming.