Samsung TVs injecting ads into your own movies: report

Beachless

Executive Member
Hectic I guess I am off smart devices and simply want a panel and will run my own android device to utilize the smart features.

TheGrimReaperUH

Ok so A tv is now inserting ad's into my personal 3rd party videos? Ha bye samsung. No more smart TV for me. I don't like ad's... Btw Samsung can we install adblockplus on the smart tv's to remove the ad's?

JStrike

Honorary Master
Ok, so LG doesn't work with Netflix, Samsung now pushing adverts on your own content. What Manufacturer to use now?
I have an LG TV, and watch Netflix using my Apple TV without a single problem ever

krycor

Honorary Master
Nasty.. i'm sure they will remove it or face lawsuits if it is not opti-in

Pitbull

Verboten
I have an LG TV, and watch Netflix using my Apple TV without a single problem ever
Not exactly what I was referring to :p

The LG Smart TV does not work without an external device unlike the Samsung.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Def will not be buying a SmartTV if this is the kind of shyte they get up to....

I'd want a massive discount if the TV is going to start injecting ads into my content.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Def will not be buying a SmartTV if this is the kind of shyte they get up to....
Thing is just comes with SMART and 3D. I also wish you get rid of the junk they add and buy it as a monitor - no SMART, no 3D, no speakers ....

R13...

Honorary Master
Thing is just comes with SMART and 3D. I also wish you get rid of the junk they add and buy it as a monitor - no SMART, no 3D, no speakers ....
Couldn't you simply deny it an internet connection?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Couldn't you simply deny it an internet connection?
This is what most people are recommending.

Personally I don't care because I will never use the "Smart" TV functionality anyway. I just won't pay extra for a Smart TV.

Emjay

Executive Member
What is the point of a SmartTV without internet connectivity?

I have a Samsung 3D Smart TV and we use Plex. Have not seen an ad yet. Although, we have not updated the Smart TV OS in a while, so maybe it's a new "feature".

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Well, some people will still find it useful - watching local content etc. Personally, I would just not use the Smart TV features at all and rather use an HTPC.

MickZA

Executive Member
Samsung said at the time the ads were meant to be opt-in, and that it was working with Yahoo to resolve the problem.
:wtf: Who in their right mind would opt-in?

eg2505

Honorary Master
you know what this means.....

hacking smart TV's; removing the "bad" firmware and downgrading to one without this nasty idea; done for years with smart Phones;

next thing; playstation console shows adverts while you play online/offline......

(maybe I shouldn't have said that, hope it dosent already exist.....)

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
This is what most people are recommending.

Personally I don't care because I will never use the "Smart" TV functionality anyway. I just won't pay extra for a Smart TV.
Problem being you don't really get decent non-Smart TVs anymore. The quality units are Smart automatically.