SANDF lost 40% of its unregistered COVID-19 medicine because it left its fridge doors open

ponder

Honorary Master
Pfizer -70c (good luck with that in SA.. these fridges at labs or universities)

Moderna & J&J**? -20c Medical fridge pricey but not too bad. Not used much due to need not present.

AstraZenica 2-5c standard vaccine fridge. What makes a vaccine fridge special? It keeps that low temp distributed evenly even with a few hours of power outage. If you use a retail fridge which can get to similar temp, distribution temp is uneven. Most vaccine fridges come with sensors which are monitored remotely reporting via support team when issues picked up.

2-8C out in the field for distribution. Produced & warehoused at -20C, stable for 2yrs.

Supervan II

Expert Member
2-8C out in the field for distribution. Produced & warehoused at -20C, stable for 2yrs.
Reminds me of the time the company I used to work for tried to embark on a venture to manufacture a vaccine (on behalf of Biovac):

Discussions (which excluded me, who was responsible for the receiving, warehousing and distribution thereof) were at an advanced stage until I was notified at the last minute to provide input on the storage and distribution requirements. (Most, if not all, of the parties involved in these discussions were pharmacists, by the way.)

Suffice to say that that project came to a grinding halt as soon as I mentioned the storage requirements for the raw materials alone, never mind the (bulk-) shipping requirements to get the manufactured goods back to Cape Town!

Esbendzn

'Eish Colonel, we was hot guarding the fridge so we left the door open for aircon..... nxaaa! Just a few bottles died.........who knows.... they might just administer the other 40% of the other half damaged vaccines.

Soooo who charges the SANDF for bringing in illegal drugs into South Africa?

access

Honorary Master
yoh cyril and now?

i wonder what the excuse will be for not holding everyone involved accountable.

the hawks will have no clue lol, what will the mycadres crew spin

ponder

Honorary Master
Reminds me of the time the company I used to work for tried to embark on a venture to manufacture a vaccine (on behalf of Biovac):

Discussions (which excluded me, who was responsible for the receiving, warehousing and distribution thereof) were at an advanced stage until I was notified at the last minute to provide input on the storage and distribution requirements. (Most, if not all, of the parties involved in these discussions were pharmacists, by the way.)

Suffice to say that that project came to a grinding halt as soon as I mentioned the storage requirements for the raw materials alone, never mind the (bulk-) shipping requirements to get the manufactured goods back to Cape Town!

In this case J&J will be doing the warehousing at their own facilities around the world. Once it goes to the distributors & customers it's good for 3 months at 2-8C

Gerry

I am not even surprised, I know these mieliepap-drones.
If this is the military standard, imagine the coming public standard.

I Started self medicating long time ago. Not going do
suffocate in my own snot.

Last edited:

Supervan II

Expert Member
In this case J&J will be doing the warehousing at their own facilities around the world. Once it goes to the distributors & customers it's good for 3 months at 2-8C
AFAIK, J&J does not have/own cold-storage facilities in South Africa as they do not manufacture products that require cold-storage. Their product range is mostly consumables/disposables.

nightjar

Executive Member
Without reading all the previous posts, and it's possible that someone else has mentioned it already, I wonder if that 40% ever existed as stock.
Maybe that was the skim-off and was covered up as being spoiled?

Swa

Honorary Master
'Eish Colonel, we was hot guarding the fridge so we left the door open for aircon..... nxaaa! Just a few bottles died.........who knows.... they might just administer the other 40% of the other half damaged vaccines.

Soooo who charges the SANDF for bringing in illegal drugs into South Africa?
SANDF has their own legal system. But suffice to say that person responsible is probably dead like always and nothing will come of it.

ponder

Honorary Master
AFAIK, J&J does not have/own cold-storage facilities in South Africa as they do not manufacture products that require cold-storage. Their product range is mostly consumables/disposables.

It will be under contract with Aspen Pharmacare in SA apparently.

Swa

Honorary Master

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Hard choices they say. The ANC doesn't have the political will to make hard choices as we've seen time and again.

Then they are going to suffer as a result. Their problem - they have made their bed, now they must sleep on it.

Reactions: Swa

access

Honorary Master
Locked article on News24 (I blame @schumi for leading me there :p)

yeah i wish, but votes for the anc is not about efficiency or accountability or governance, its about fighting apartheid / racism / white man

that needs change first

dualmeister

Honorary Master
The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has refuted reports that it inadvertently destroyed COVID-19 medication from Cuba by leaving fridge doors open, but has not denied that 40% of the drug shipment suffered temperature fluctuations that could compromise its effectiveness.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
SANDF has their own legal system. But suffice to say that person responsible is probably dead like always and nothing will come of it.
True on both facts.
Exception to the first is crimes of treason, murder, culpable homicide or rape (within SA borders) and of course constitutional matters.