Sanef condemns EFF after Malema's tweet results in insults and rape threats against veteran journalist Karima Brown

schumi

Honorary Master
The EFF and its top leadership has come under fire after veteran journalist Karima Brown was verbally abused and received threatening messages after her cellphone number was published on Twitter.

This comes after Brown seemingly posted an editorial brief in an EFF media WhatsApp group after the party posted an invitation to an EFF "Breakfast With The Elderly" function scheduled for Wednesday.

Brown responded: "Keep an eye out for this. Who are these elders. Are they all male and how are they chosen. Keep watching brief (sic)." She later deleted the message.

EFF leader Julius Malema later tweeted a screenshot of the message, which included Brown's cellphone number, saying: "Karima Brown is sending moles to our breakfast with the elders tomorrow, she incidentally sends the message to the @EFFSouthAfrica media WhatsApp group and deleted it immediately."
This ignited a barrage of abusive responses from EFF members, accusing Brown of being a spy and calling her a whore and a bitch, among other insults and threats.

Since then, Brown has been the target of abusive messages and even rape threats. "Step aside or we will crush your prolapsed vagina," one threat, forwarded by Brown, states.

Brown responded that she would not be intimidated or scared by the attacks on her by the party, its leaders or supporters.

The South African National Editors' Forum (Sanef) on Wednesday condemned what it termed "the systemic, abusive and cruel social media attack levelled against Talk Show Host and veteran journalist Karima Brown over the last 24 hours by Economic Freedom Front leader Julius Malema and his supporters".

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/sanef-condemns-eff-after-malemas-tweet-results-in-insults-and-rape-threats-against-veteran-journalist-karima-brown-20190306

surface

Executive Member
Hope they put Julius in Jail some day for something- even for a day - will be happy with that.

R13...

Honorary Master
Yeah, against each and every person who has phoned her and threatened her life, or messaged her and done the same....
Also against Malema who is the chief instigator when he leaked her details on social media.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Also against Malema who is the chief instigator when he leaked her details on social media.
As much as I'd like that... i don't know what you could charge him with criminally (and prove easily)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Don't even have to try make the majority eff scum out to be the racists and hate mongers they are, they do it so well themselves. And they keep gaining supporters ..... says a lot

Sinbad

Honorary Master
But its still not in force yet, so that wouldn't work....

I would need to see the tweet but just posting her details would make that a hard one to prove though wouldn't it?

**EDIT** Seen the twit...
I think just saying she is sending a mole would make the incitement/hate speech angle hard to prove.
I saw a tweet with her number saying "let's flood her" or similar

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Karima Brown...that name seems familiar.

Wasn't she part of Iqbal Surve's crowd?

Not that it excuses Malema, of course.