Sanef condemns EFF after Malema's tweet results in insults and rape threats against veteran journalist Karima Brown

Solarion

Honorary Master
Don't even have to try make the majority eff scum out to be the racists and hate mongers they are, they do it so well themselves. And they keep gaining supporters ..... says a lot
100% agree. I used to get so wrapped up in pointing out EFF and Malema's racism/hypocrisy and double standards until one I realized that they had actually surpassed all my efforts and that my time is better spent just sitting with a box of popcorn and letting them do it all for me.

This is actually quite true of most things in this world. You are better off just sitting back and watching because more often than not no matter how much you jump and shout and toss dust in the air for people to notice, often everybody knows already and either doesn't know what to do about it or doesn't care or is just waiting around for it to fix itself.

I decided the possible stroke and/or possible heart attack from giving too many ****s were not worth it anymore.

Mila

Honorary Master
So when are we seeing something done?
Or are the EFF still just the butthole from where the ANC speaks?

Sollie

Expert Member
https://ewn.co.za/2019/03/09/us-ngo-takes-aim-at-malema-for-karima-brown-tweet

US NGO takes aim at Malema for Karima Brown tweet

JOHANNESBURG- An American NGO defending journalists targeted South African radical leftist opposition leader Julius Malema on Saturday after he tweeted the personal phone number of a reporter who has since received a flood of threats.

“The Committee to Protect Journalists today expressed grave concern about threats and harassment against veteran journalist Karima Brown,” said the organisation which runs a global network from New York.

The statement came after Malema tweeted Brown’s telephone number, also calling her a “mole” for the ruling African National Congress (ANC) party.

Brown said that within hours she received a flood of messages she believes were sent by activists of Malema’s Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) party, South Africa’s third-largest.

Some threatened to rape her or burn her alive.

Sollie

Expert Member
https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAfrica/News/watch-live-sanef-takes-on-eff-in-court-for-intimidation-of-journalists-20190805

The South African National Editors' Forum's (Sanef) Equality Court case against the EFF starts in the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

"Sanef and a number of individual journalists have taken the EFF to the Equality Court to argue that the latter has enabled an environment in which intimidation, harassment, threats and/or assaults on journalists, including the individual complainants in this case, have been tolerated and, in fact, encouraged, creating a chilling effect on freedom of expression, access to information and freedom of the media in the country," the body said in a statement.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Ferial Haffajee on what its like to be a journalist who is bullied and abused, both in social media, and in public: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-08-06-twitter-and-the-rest-of-social-media-are-a-rising-threat-to-media-freedom-and-i-am-part-of-their-roadkill/
The internet and the powerful social media platforms now host among the worst forms of violence against journalists and are a rising threat to media freedom. Women journalists come in for particular targeting in a trend now called cyber-misogyny.
I’m roadkill, not an equal of Malema’s and other trolling armies, because they have impacted on me.

The images of the Bell Pottinger campaign, the words of Piet and of Malema’s trolling army fill me with shame. Why is this? I have asked myself so many times how this digital misogyny impacted as hard as it did, shaming me and causing me to hide the images and to hide from them and to feel like I had to explain them. I am yet to find a proper answer, except that I have realised that when hate comes to you packaged and delivered on to your phone and into your palm, it gets into you. Our phones have become like appendages, a part of us.
She is not a named plaintiff in the case against the EFF, but her own experience matches up:
The designers and purveyors of cyber-misogyny have worked this out and use online attacks to silence journalists. It is now so routine that I spend some of each day blocking hate.

Sanef’s court case is an attempt to get the judiciary to declare that this kind of hate is hate speech in terms of our Constitution and that it impacts on the founding statute’s freedom of expression provisions.

Last edited:

R13...

Honorary Master
And Helen apparently entered the fray, calling the journalists wimps
Also, I am quite comfortable displaying my vulnerability — you called it “wimpish” — for me, it’s being human and unafraid to show it. If you have made peace with death threats on Twitter, cool; I haven’t and would rather fight to make it a place of civil engagement and put the tormentors on terms. 10

The Sanef application is not one to silence the EFF, but to interdict it from a line of rhetoric that with its online trolling army can prevent free movement and free reporting by the media. These are important and nuanced differences in how you have interpreted the case or its larger implications. 4

I look forward to being on your podcast with you later in August as part of your new role as a senior fellow of the Institute of Race Relations. I do hope that you will use this powerful new role to explore greater liberties rather than tilt over into an alt-right stance that seeks to protect and enhance minority interests and privileges, as your most recent work indicates you will do. 5
As a practitioner of the ideas of the open society, you taught me a lot about what such a world can look like in our country, so to see your bait-and-switch and hear you sometimes adopt the language of Europe’s growing far-right and America’s neoconservatives (who also parade as libertarians) has had me gasping for air.
Opinion piece by Ferrial, not sure I agree with her defense of the huffington post but she has a point about Helen starting to sound like she's moved from left to right.