SANRAL can start eTolling Now. ConCourt sets aside Injunction.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
From news 24: However, there is a high court review in November which could stop it again.

Yep, and this is why people need to support OUTA's legal campaign now, more than ever.
This is our last chance to stop it.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
The government has already decided that its ok for Gautengers to subsidize the rest of the country, but not the other way around.

Battle lost for now, but just don't pay and don't get an e-tag, then its not a workable solution.

rza

Executive Member
As sad as this is I think this is a good decision. The last thing we want is the courts interfering on the duties of government. This is a victory for democracy, althought it will cost us a lot of money.

daveza

Honorary Master
What has changed since a few months back ?

Nobody is buying e-tags and until that happens the whole thing is not going to be sustainable.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
We need to take a leaf from the miners' book and get violent. Seems that is the only way to get what you want in this banana republic.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
As sad as this is I think this is a good decision. The last thing we want is the courts interfering on the duties of government. This is a victory for democracy, althought it will cost us a lot of money.

No, it's a victory for kleptocracy. Get it right.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
What I don't get is why they waited until everything was built and ready to go before they started protesting.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Are you smoking your socks, this has sweet fek all to do with democracy, and everything to do with condoning monstrous levels of corruption.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
What I don't get is why they waited until everything was built and ready to go before they started protesting.

Because the public was never informed of the costs of the collection system, running the collection system, and the per km rates being mooted until the last minute.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
'Sanral lawyer, David Unterhalter SC submitted that the costs of collection for e-tolling should have been examined holistically.

He said the rate of non-compliance was not a proper reason for a review of the project.

He said there were measures to manage deviance, and those who did not comply would face criminal sanctions.

Unterhalter admitted that there were mistakes and faults with the system, but said it was ready to be introduced.'

This is going to get ugly real fast. Myself - I suggest a national stay-at-home campaign. Everyone opposing the current method - do not go to work for a day. Do not go anywhere. Just stay at home. No work - no movies, no shopping, nothing.

rza

Executive Member
Are you smoking your socks, this has sweet fek all to do with democracy, and everything to do with condoning monstrous levels of corruption.

“The interim order granted by the high court on 28 April, 2012, is set aside,” said Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke.

This was because the high court had not considered the separation of powers between the court and the executive.

This is what I'm referring to.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Back then we all though that they would propose something reasonable like 5 or 10 cents a kilometer.
The actual rates were only announced less than a year before the kick off.
That's when all hell broke loose.

blunomore

Honorary Master
So .... they can start rolling out, pending the November review. In effect, they would the be best served waiting until the review has been heard, right ? Let's hope they understand that. Brains seem to be in short supply.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So .... they can start rolling out, pending the November review. In effect, they would the be best served waiting until the review has been heard, right ? Let's hope they understand that. Brains seem to be in short supply.

LOL
They are going to start sending bills today, guaranteed. Tenderpreneurs gotta feed at the trough!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

A Strong democracy is one in which the Courts can and do interfere with bad decisions by the Government.
Don't swallow the ANC's crap about the Courts not being able to interfere.
That is exactly what Court's do... they interfere.