• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Sanral continues to bully e-toll defaulters - Outa

schumi

Honorary Master
Johannesburg - The South African National Roads Agency Limited is still harassing and bullying motorists with scare tactics by issuing summons against them for non-payment of e-tolls, says the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse, despite its acknowledgment that the scheme has failed.

“We’re getting calls from the public on a daily basis,” said Outa portfolio manager for transport Rudie Heyneke, “saying they’ve been summonsed for not paying e-tolls.

“That means Sanral has started issuing a new round of summonses - even though the Pretoria High Court has this week overturned a judgement Sanral obtained against an e-toll defaulter.”

Local Freight Services had applied for a rescission of the judgement, and Sanral didn’t oppose it, so the judgement was overturned.

“This is a gross abuse of tax-payer’s money, funding expensive legal proceedings, and a waste of time,” Heyneke said, ”when the public have to get judgements overturned, that were wrongly obtained in the first place.”
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indu...es-to-bully-e-toll-defaulters---outa-11613041

Temujin

Expert Member
even though the Pretoria High Court has this week overturned a judgement Sanral obtained against an e-toll defaulter.”
Not sure if surprised or not this is the first I'm hearing about it... couldn't find anything in google either:confused:

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Pathetic really, like a child who has discovered he has power over somebody else's toys.
Wasting the public's money must give them a sense of power or something.
Like I said, rather pathetic but like Zuma they're running the show now..

thechamp

Honorary Master
Received one as well, Jacob needs the money and he is tired of playing nice, which is hard to do with the Russians on your case.

eg2505

Honorary Master
at this point the costs to reclaim the money back from people must be in the billions,

I mean it cost more to claim it back vs put a fuel levy in place.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Just got my first sms as well, it did ask Please. I was like naaah. I don't even have that much think it's 3000 or so, but still not paying.

Cius

Expert Member
So someone I know just got this (this person pays his bill):

Dear registered e-toll user

SANRAL would like to thank all e-toll users who continue to uphold and pay their e-toll accounts, thus choosing to be law-abiding citizens.

Regarding the reports in the press the past days that SANRAL has written-off R3.6 billion of debt on e-tolls, we would like to set the record straight. Non-payment of e-toll remains a criminal offence, and this does not prescribe. SANRAL has a duty to collect all outstanding toll payments and offenders can be criminally prosecuted or held liable through civil action.

Although SANRAL has currently embarked on a civil process and the issuing of summonses, SANRAL may also engage in a criminal process related to toll payment infringements since the toll commencement date.

There is a difference in debt that is written off and a debt that is impaired. For the latter, SANRAL has made a provision, as required by international accounting standards based on indicators such as significant financial difficulty of a debtor and default in payments. Although we have made a provision as required for accounting purposes to impair the R3.6 billion debt, it should be emphasised that this amount was not written off, as this impaired debt will still be pursued.

Lastly, SANRAL wants to emphasize that the road users that have paid their tolls in the past, and continue to pay, will not be prejudiced as compared to offenders that have chosen not to pay.

Yours Faithfully

e-toll Customer Services
So they are still threatening criminal prosecution which is laughable. They would make half the population of Gauteng criminals destroying the economy as many of those people work in places that won't accept you with a criminal record.

Ecco

Executive Member
Just got an sms from SANRAL 087 240 6796 "You have overdue e-toll fees and you are now in a debt collection process. Call SANRAL on 0800 726 725"

Scare tactics still going on.

Messugga

Executive Member
Just got an sms from SANRAL 087 240 6796 "You have overdue e-toll fees and you are now in a debt collection process. Call SANRAL on 0800 726 725"

Scare tactics still going on.
Yep, got that same SMS a couple of weeks ago.