Sanral issues summonses, final demands for e-tolls

Sodan

Expert Member
I got a speeding fine in Stellenbosch. I was doing a whopping 71km/h in a 60 zone. I am so ashamed of myself.

That being said, is there any way I can get out of paying it?

Albereth

Honorary Master
Interesting that they say that summons has been issued but if you blah blah blah you can avoid further action.

When SANRAL hand it over to the CPA process it has been written off as far as they are concerned. Basically it is off their system, off their books. SANRAL cannot issue summons, that is what the court does.

Sounds like BS. Again. Or is that still?

Albereth

Honorary Master
I got a speeding fine in Stellenbosch. I was doing a whopping 71km/h in a 60 zone. I am so ashamed of myself.

If you reverse down that road at 11 km/h you will undo the speeding violation.

Or you could try speaking to the traffic department.

IzZzy

Executive Member
Interesting that they say that summons has been issued but if you blah blah blah you can avoid further action.

When SANRAL hand it over to the CPA process it has been written off as far as they are concerned. Basically it is off their system, off their books. SANRAL cannot issue summons, that is what the court does.

Sounds like BS. Again. Or is that still?

I don't know if I agree. The problem is trying to use the analogy that the etoll bill is like a fine, which is not correct. A fine is imposed by enforcing body, which if paid, would result in that body not pursuing criminal charges. You are not obliged to pay the fine, and you can't be convicted for failing to pay the fine. You can have your day in court arguing the underlying speeding offence, at the risk of a criminal record and the imposition of a fine (that is, issued by court) (including jail time, if warranted). [Note I am not dealing with admission of guilt fines.]

SANRAL have done the opposite: At all stages you owe SANRAL the etoll fees. But if you fail to pay your etoll fees, you commit a criminal offence. So you can be guilty of failing to pay the etoll fees, and SANRAL can issue civil summons against you ensuring that you pay your etoll fees. Essentially a double punishment.

This is, at least, how I see it.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Waits for House to come and tell us how horrible it's going to be for all of us when we are sitting in court and then in jail with criminal records.... :D

Sodan

Expert Member
If you reverse down that road at 11 km/h you will undo the speeding violation.

Or you could try speaking to the traffic department.

LOL!
I suppose I was exceeding the speed limit, and should man up and face the consequences.

Sodan

Expert Member
I don't know if I agree. The problem is trying to use the analogy that the etoll bill is like a fine, which is not correct. A fine is imposed by enforcing body, which if paid, would result in that body not pursuing criminal charges. You are not obliged to pay the fine, and you can't be convicted for failing to pay the fine. You can have your day in court arguing the underlying speeding offence, at the risk of a criminal record and the imposition of a fine (that is, issued by court) (including jail time, if warranted). [Note I am not dealing with admission of guilt fines.]

SANRAL have done the opposite: At all stages you owe SANRAL the etoll fees. But if you fail to pay your etoll fees, you commit a criminal offence. So you can be guilty of failing to pay the etoll fees, and SANRAL can issue civil summons against you ensuring that you pay your etoll fees. Essentially a double punishment.

This is, at least, how I see it.

How exactly failure to pay is handled is really confusing. It seems as if SANRAL make up their own laws as they go along.

IzZzy

Executive Member
How exactly failure to pay is handled is really confusing. It seems as if SANRAL make up their own laws as they go along.

Indeed. I expect an arbitrary length of time to be relied upon. I recollect SANRAL said about 6 months

Insint

Expert Member
Looks like the want to start asking people to transfer their salaries directly to SANRAL bank accounts.
R35000 for less than one years usage. :wtf: That is a insane even if that amount was for 10 years of road use. :mad:

garp

Executive Member

If it was one of those mobile cameras in a green box disguised as a fixed electricity junction that Stellenbosch seem to have all over the place, you may have a case as AFAIK mobile speed cameras are not supposed to be left unattended:

1725711045.jpg

And yes, some of them are mobile, although they're made to look like they're not.

grim

Expert Member
If it was one of those mobile cameras in a green box disguised as a fixed electricity junction that Stellenbosch seem to have all over the place, you may have a case as AFAIK mobile speed cameras are not supposed to be left unattended:

View attachment 116788

And yes, some of them are mobile, although they're made to look like they're not.

Mobile unmanned cameras have been legal since around December 2012

Back to topic:
SANRAL hasn't issued f-all summonses, more scare tactics from them

RichardG

Honorary Master
Intimidation don't fall for it.

Any news on new courts opening up to handle offenders who haven't paid their eTolls. Also have they put money aside to build a special prison whereby all etoll criminals will be housed.

Beachless

Executive Member
Intimidation don't fall for it.

Any news on new courts opening up to handle offenders who haven't paid their eTolls. Also have they put money aside to build a special prison whereby all etoll criminals will be housed.

I heard it was work camps where you will have to pay off your bill earning only R2 a week.