Sanral issues summonses, final demands for e-tolls

kianm

Honorary Master
Seems SANRAL is picking on small businesses first...
Cause if that R35k is for an individual...

Lofl, its an ordinary citizen :D dont play with being the so called alternate user on gauteng roads :D

Johnfpro

I got a speeding fine in Stellenbosch. I was doing a whopping 71km/h in a 60 zone. I am so ashamed of myself.

That being said, is there any way I can get out of paying it?

Why would you want to?

Daniedj

Probably have the biggest outstanding amounts, especially if a small fleet of vehicles.
I think so too. They're easier (profitible) targets than individuals. Then again. If an individual can rake it up to R35k. Kudos due.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I think so too. They're easier (profitible) targets than individuals. Then again. If an individual can rake it up to R35k. Kudos due.

Maybe its one of those clone cases and he is just waiting to pounce and has never used the GFIP roads...

Albereth

Honorary Master

R35k is nothing. The bill on the Whackhead show last week was for over R400k. Single car.

Midnight_choir_drunk

Expert Member
Pffffft. Any attempt to try make me pay my etolls will be a massive waste of their resource just like the last attempts have been. I feel more sorry for the few gullible suckers who do pay and have paid. Morons.

Bosvark@

Expert Member
Need a test Case to test the whole legality of all this... going to be good to watch.

I hope OUTA has their wallet ready... for now...

cavedog

Honorary Master
If its a summons then SANRAL can't send it via snail mail it would have to high priority mail tracking included with proof of id that needs to be shown to collect at the post office if I'm correct. So I guess just ditch it

chrisc

Executive Member
I got a speeding fine in Stellenbosch. I was doing a whopping 71km/h in a 60 zone. I am so ashamed of myself.

That being said, is there any way I can get out of paying it?

1 - Ignore it
2 - Go and see a public prosecutor and ask him to reduce it. He will knock off 50%

No 1 is the recommended route, unless you live in Stellenbosch

Midnight_choir_drunk

Expert Member
1 - Ignore it
2 - Go and see a public prosecutor and ask him to reduce it. He will knock off 50%

No 1 is the recommended route, unless you live in Stellenbosch

Just ignore it. Governments etc only can pull this stuff off if we passively allow them. It's like money. It becomes worthless for anything but toilet paper the moment we stop passively giving it meaning and value. Do the same with e-tolls and petty speeding fines.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Agree with you fully. This is the argument I raised a few months ago in the etolls thread and represents the only true reason why the etolling legislation is fatally flawed - if the debt is truly a debt, one cannot be imprisoned as a result thereof. If it is not a true debt, then the only reason that one can be imprisoned for failing to pay is if it is a tax.

Lol I still remember the "debate" we had about that, tax or no tax the minster who signed the etolls bill clearly didn't think it through.
Thought I have done a lot of reading up on debt considering I was in an awkward place earlier this year, thankfully got that resolved.

What would the practice be on court issued judgements for etolls ? Since it is not civil you're charged a fine and or jail time not a civil penalty.How exactly will they get funds from you, does such a judgement give them similar rights like a default judgement ?

IzZzy

Executive Member
Lol I still remember the "debate" we had about that, tax or no tax the minster who signed the etolls bill clearly didn't think it through.
Thought I have done a lot of reading up on debt considering I was in an awkward place earlier this year, thankfully got that resolved.

What would the practice be on court issued judgements for etolls ? Since it is not civil you're charged a fine and or jail time not a civil penalty.How exactly will they get funds from you, does such a judgement give them similar rights like a default judgement ?

It would be a civil judgment sounding in money like all others. The sheriff would be authorised to attach assets to satisfy the judgment debt if not satisfied within the time periods.

The fact that it also constitutes a criminal offence, in SANRAL's view, does not affect their debt collection efforts. It is just another stick for them to use.

garp

Executive Member
Just ignore it. Governments etc only can pull this stuff off if we passively allow them. It's like money. It becomes worthless for anything but toilet paper the moment we stop passively giving it meaning and value. Do the same with e-tolls and petty speeding fines.

Agree. Concealed speed cameras on dual carriageways that look like they should be 80km/h zones but aren't, where you receive a fine weeks later, have nothing to do with the objective of enforcing a speed limit. They are purely revenue raising exercises, where it is to the traffic departments' benefit if cars speed. It is unethical and completely opposite to the goal of traffic safety to knowingly monitor cars going over the speed limit without direct intervention. IMHO the only permissible speed traps should be those manned by real humans who pull you over and ticket you there and then.

wizardofid

Executive Member
It would be a civil judgment sounding in money like all others. The sheriff would be authorised to attach assets to satisfy the judgment debt if not satisfied within the time periods.

The fact that it also constitutes a criminal offence, in SANRAL's view, does not affect their debt collection efforts. It is just another stick for them to use.
That is convenient way of screwing the public over.

j4ck455

Executive Member
They use a much more blunt method - the NCA is excluded from toll collection.

Was the NCA actually amended to specifically exclude toll/etrolling fees?

If the exclusion is only an arbitrary clause that was added to the Transport Laws and Related Matters Amendment Act, the legality of the clause will surely be a hotly contested issue in court cases.

I heard it was work camps where you will have to pay off your bill earning only R2 a week.

Work camps? That sounds so much better than being forced to scrub the Nkandla crappers out after the #1 has had a bunny chow #2.