Jamo39

So, you know when you shop for something online internationally, say China, you place your home address, then you get the notification slip to go to the post office it was received at to pay the handling fee and whatnot, and then they look for your parcel and give it to you.

What happens when you use your PO box address? where does the slip go? does it go into the box? how do you pay for the handling fee and all that?

The reason why I am asking is, I never receive that darn slip and by the time I eventually find out the parcel has arrived it is past the holding date and they don't have the parcel anymore, so I am thinking that maybe if i get it delivered to my PO box, it can stay in there forever until I collect it?

rh1

Use the App. It works (mostly). Then you will lose some parcels.

Jamo39

My question was focused more on sending to a PO Box, instead of home address and how that works because you don’t always get a tracking number from the website...so it’s not about tracking, and the app.

ponder

Honorary Master
The reason why I am asking is, I never receive that darn slip and by the time I eventually find out the parcel has arrived it is past the holding date and they don't have the parcel anymore, so I am thinking that maybe if i get it delivered to my PO box, it can stay in there forever until I collect it?
Holding date will still apply if you just left the slip lying in the po box.

Joeboy69

Expert Member
My question was focused more on sending to a PO Box, instead of home address and how that works because you don’t always get a tracking number from the website...so it’s not about tracking, and the app.
You get the slip in the box rather than in the street

chubster

I use the android Track24 app. However it seems the post office depot is getting clever now and withholding the slip number from the tracking. Used to say "Other 114525", then I would take that number to the post office. Now I only see, "first notification sent" and the holding period only seems to be 3 or 4 weeks.

I even go as far, as to force the package to go my nearest Post Office by using their specific postal code.

Then there is also two different types of slips.

There is the depot type slip. Rectangle blue strip with the number stamped in red.
The 2nd slip is the local post office slip. Where they claim, they send out a SMS first. Which of course hardly ever happens (square slip). I get to see that number, sometimes too on Track24., before I get the SMS or the so called slip that gets sent 3 weeks after no response from the SMS.
3rd I take no cellphone to my post office any more because of muggings. If it is not bad enough already. They don't care about my package, they just want my phone.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
So, you know when you shop for something online internationally, say China, you place your home address, then you get the notification slip to go to the post office it was received at to pay the handling fee and whatnot, and then they look for your parcel and give it to you.

What happens when you use your PO box address? where does the slip go? does it go into the box? how do you pay for the handling fee and all that?

Go to the local PO where the box is.. make a friend at the PO who can notify YOU when a parcel is there.

ChuckNorris

Go to the local PO where the box is.. make a friend at the PO who can notify YOU when a parcel is there.
This is the best, I order quite a few things from china. Ladies at the post office know me already so they just keep the parcel under their counter until I arrive.

But best solution never ever order something without a tracking number. Usually about R10 extra but worth it over and over again. I've seen packages arriving anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. Going to the post office every 2nd weak is a pain. Traking number and the 17track.com to follow it.

Koosjoubert122

I bought something from china with a tracking number. The tracking shows that it left to country of destination which is South Africa on 13/09/19 . I called SAPO to get the local tracking number as everyone tells you on the forms. I really struggled to get through but when I did they told me that my international tracking number does not show on the system? Can I assume that my package is lost LoL?

ld13

Honorary Master
I bought something from china with a tracking number. The tracking shows that it left to country of destination which is South Africa on 13/09/19.
Still early days. It can take a few months. The international tracking number gets paired with a local tracking number and from there it can still take a while before you get it. Personally I would call/email them every two weeks, never mind what your tracking app shows.

Koosjoubert122

Still early days. It can take a few months. The international tracking number gets paired with a local tracking number and from there it can still take a while before you get it. Personally I would call/email them every two weeks, never mind what your tracking app shows.
Wow quick replies thank you all.

So I ordered the package from banggood registered air mail about 2 months back. Tracking updated perfectly up until it left to SA 13/09. So it must have definitely arrived here or at customs at least 3 weeks back. So that is why I am wondering if it arrived here wasn't it suppose to get an SA tracking number immediately? and be input in the system since it is tracked.

ld13

Honorary Master
Tracking updated perfectly up until it left to SA 13/09. So it must have definitely arrived here or at customs at least 3 weeks back.
It might have arrived here or still be en-route. It can take a month or more to arrive. Then another [indeterminate amount of time], unless you are unlucky and it gets lost for [an indeterminate amount of time] for it to be processed and head to customs or your post office etc.

So that is why I am wondering if it arrived here wasn't it suppose to get an SA tracking number immediately? and be input in the system since it is tracked.
High hopes, you have, high hopes...

I sometimes strike it lucky, in that my local post office sends me an SMS a few days before my parcels are sent back. By that time the parcel has already been sitting at the post office for eons and I simply never got a slip.

I try to avoid ordering anything from banggood or gearbest that does not offer SA Direct Mail/Priority Line. It is slightly more expensive, but not as expensive as DHL, and ships to SA in about under 2 weeks.

Koosjoubert122

Flip ok shot. Same here there was no option for Direct Mail/Priority Line because I also only use that. So the waiting game begins! I will report back on what happens. Will be checking the local PO every 2 weeks now:thumbsup::)

riscbroker

Expert Member
Flip ok shot. Same here there was no option for Direct Mail/Priority Line because I also only use that. So the waiting game begins! I will report back on what happens. Will be checking the local PO every 2 weeks now:thumbsup::)
Your parcel is likely in no-man's land at JIMC, waiting to be checked in. Use your international tracking number on 17track and you'll see when it gets checked into JIMC and be able to track it further from there.

Koosjoubert122

Thank you. Yeah if that is the case no man's Land it is:laugh: will keep you guys posted

currently 17track only shows

2019-09-12 02:56
Departure from office of exchange

chubster

I would also recommend track24. Making a friend helps, they create a box for you if you receive plenty per week and make collections once a week.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
This is the best, I order quite a few things from china. Ladies at the post office know me already so they just keep the parcel under their counter until I arrive.

But best solution never ever order something without a tracking number. Usually about R10 extra but worth it over and over again. I've seen packages arriving anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months. Going to the post office every 2nd weak is a pain. Traking number and the 17track.com to follow it.
Same deal with my wife, she uses wish a lot. The people at the post office just keep her stuff aside and send her an sms when they receive items for her. She takes them cupcakes sometimes and everyone is happy.