bblz92

i ordered something from gearbest unregistered in march....Still aint recieved it, tracking info went quite after it got to SA customs.
i thought it would take 90 days and i didnt mind the wait, and frankly priority line doesnt seem logical at 50% of the products retail price.
Reordered it on priority line, arrived in less than 2 weeks, i guess next i try registered mail?

ld13

Honorary Master
i ordered something from gearbest unregistered in march....Still aint recieved it, tracking info went ...
...quiet?

How do you know it went quiet after hitting SA customs? Does gearbest add a tracking number to their 'untracked' parcels? I doubt going the registered path will be much different. It can still take months. Priority line is worth it if you load your package a bit instead of buying single cheaper items.

If you know that your parcel landed up with customs, you should be able to contact customs and get them to 'find' your package.

Puk

Some tips I can share:

1) If you're comfortable with it, put your mobile number on the address. The post office will SMS you when the item is ready to collect - thus no need to wait for slips.

2) Always use tracking. If an item is stuck at JIMC according to tracking, don't trust it. I've had a few situations where the Hub (sorting) post office (such as Tshwane) is offline and unable to update statuses. They still forward parcels to your local PO, though.

3) Don't use a Postnet Suite if you want to receive mainly international packages. There is a R28.00 fee SARS levies for who knows what. That means the parcel will be stuck at the Post Office anyway - until you go and pay.

4) Once an item is in SA, ask them for a domestic tracking number. Their customer care line is useless, so I always email these two helpful ladies: Debbie.Oppelt@postoffice.co.za, Lindsay.Hopley@postoffice.co.za. Debbie, especially, answers quickly and is very helpful.

5) Finally - try to rather order things you can get in SA from someplace inside the country. With the post office being unavoidable (for customs purposes) and SARS getting crazy, only order international if you absolutely must.

Weigh the cost against the effort. There have been stories of SARS seizing orders from eBay or Amazon due to a stupid new rule: If you order more than 3 times internationally in a year, they consider you an "importer". And that's a bureaucratic nightmare to get sorted out.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Some tips I can share:

1) If you're comfortable with it, put your mobile number on the address. The post office will SMS you when the item is ready to collect - thus no need to wait for slips.

2) Always use tracking. If an item is stuck at JIMC according to tracking, don't trust it. I've had a few situations where the Hub (sorting) post office (such as Tshwane) is offline and unable to update statuses. They still forward parcels to your local PO, though.

3) Don't use a Postnet Suite if you want to receive mainly international packages. There is a R28.00 fee SARS levies for who knows what. That means the parcel will be stuck at the Post Office anyway - until you go and pay.

4) Once an item is in SA, ask them for a domestic tracking number. Their customer care line is useless, so I always email these two helpful ladies: Debbie.Oppelt@postoffice.co.za, Lindsay.Hopley@postoffice.co.za. Debbie, especially, answers quickly and is very helpful.

5) Finally - try to rather order things you can get in SA from someplace inside the country. With the post office being unavoidable (for customs purposes) and SARS getting crazy, only order international if you absolutely must.

Weigh the cost against the effort. There have been stories of SARS seizing orders from eBay or Amazon due to a stupid new rule: If you order more than 3 times internationally in a year, they consider you an "importer". And that's a bureaucratic nightmare to get sorted out.
Woah.. that last bit.. i have ordered probably 5-6 items this year alone. and i havent had an issue.
One ebay
the rest wish.com

Soooo.. yea.. perhaps you need to be a regular and they will see your name and give it priority. Because touch wood i havent had an issue in not recieving an item. Probaly a few late parcels but thats it.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Ordered two items, one from Spain, one from Czech republic. Received both. One took 4 weeks, the other 3.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
And making friends with the PO ladies helps, as the wife calls her my PO girlfriend:p

SykomantiS

Expert Member
SAPO have been pretty consistent lately, I've ordered a couple of things that were either too small/cheap for courier or were sent via post and I didn't have the option of asking for a courier (all my packages have had tracking numbers, I think).

My packages have been showing up lately rather timeously and without fail. Couriers are still faster, but at this point it's hard to complain from personal experience (apart from the handling fee).

(Not thread related, I don't have a PO box)

Puk

Woah.. that last bit.. i have ordered probably 5-6 items this year alone. and i havent had an issue.
Well, apparently they get suspicious if they have any reason to believe the items you ordered total more than R50k in value. The rule is: no more than three "consignments" from overseas — with a value of less than R50‚000, otherwise you have to register with customs. And it seems like they're enforcing it randomly. So there have been a few unlucky people who got all their subsequent incoming international parcels and mail seized until they registered or could prove they didn't have to.

See reports here and here.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
oh wow. well i order small change items really. Nothing tooooo crazy :)
Most expensive was R400 odd

PUP Backup

One ebay
the rest wish.com

Soooo.. yea.. perhaps you need to be a regular and they will see your name and give it priority. Because touch wood i havent had an issue in not recieving an item. Probaly a few late parcels but thats it.
Are you in Cape Town?
My hunch is that like hospitals, you get better service in CT from a govt dept??

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Ordered 3 items from Banggood.. 2 items arrived within 15 days. The one around 18 days due to some flight delays. Used their tax free shipping method.

PUP Backup

I suspected as much!
I think you have a better quality of Post Office employee.
Here in Joburg I have had 2 deliveries, one with damage to the item and the other (a plastic bag with loose power adapters) looked like it had been used as a soccer ball..

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I suspected as much!
I think you have a better quality of Post Office employee.
Here in Joburg I have had 2 deliveries, one with damage to the item and the other (a plastic bag with loose power adapters) looked like it had been used as a soccer ball..
Was delivered straight to my door, not post office.

PUP Backup

Does eBay have something equivalent to this??
Banggood not ideal for electronic components.. (DC-DC converter)..

McT

The Humble Scot!
Get an importers code. It's what several I know do. Getting mine + exporters too.