SARS E-Filing 2020/21

Anonymous™

Thank you for sharing your update.

I'm waiting for a similar email to come to me. I uploaded all the letters and floorplans, but didn't include photos. Maybe I should do that now instead of waiting for correspondence :unsure:
I don't know. Maybe prepare a floor plan as they kind asked for that also. Drew this this morning and got the Property Report (Deed Data) + SG Diagram

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 10.46.57.png

Geez, I literally just gave them a letter from my employer and a little calculation where I work out the percentage of the house and they accepted it
I suspect it's because it's my first time claiming home office deduction.

Really pushing the friendship here. Good luck.
Tell me about it. I've submitted a file with my equipment list, photos and the digram above (Property Report). Employer letter and others they already had. At this point I'd prefer an inspection frankly lol

EDIT: I'll share my second submission after they accept it.

EDIT II: Follow Up: I submitted at 09:43 - I just got the text to say they have received and will allocate to an official. Here goes another 21 days lololol

Last edited:

Mythical-

I don't know. Maybe prepare a floor plan as they kind asked for that also. Drew this this morning and got the Property Report (Deed Data) + SG Diagram

View attachment 1112862

I suspect it's because it's my first time claiming home office deduction.

Tell me about it. I've submitted a file with my equipment list, photos and the digram above (Property Report). Employer letter and others they already had. At this point I'd prefer an inspection frankly lol

EDIT: I'll share my second submission after they accept it.

EDIT II: Follow Up: I submitted at 09:43 - I just got the text to say they have received and will allocate to an official. Here goes another 21 days lololol
Shortly after I posted that reply, I got similar correspondence to the one you posted, asking for more details on the home office and medical expenses, from square meterage (this was already on the floor plan I sent) to the photos and a whole lot more.

I sent all of that in last night, and then this morning, woke up to a new "Revision submitted by SARS" for the ITR12.

My new ITA34 now indicates R5926 (the previous one was -R10k). All of my home expenses have been removed. Statement of account indicates -R4k.

I'm on the phone with the contact center now, number 500 in the queue :rolleyes:

SupremeELITE69

Can't say that i wasn't surprised waking up to yet another letter from SARS, jip, you guessed it folks, 3 in a row confirming what i already know since the 1st July, still with zero communication or indication from our HEROS whether the documents that have been uploaded are sufficient. Countless calls yield the default 21 days speech which is starting to sound more like an echo rather than a constructive answer.

HATRIC.....

Last edited:

Nikkivah74

Good Morning. I submitted all docs on 2nd July. Received completion letter on 8th. Refund was reveresed on the 13/7/2021 and I was asked to resubmit all docs for 2021 and 2020. Which I submitted by the 19th July 2021. I then received a completion letter for both the 2020 and 2021 on the 21st July. My refund due still shows: No refund due even though my SOA Shows -RXXXXX? Please give me some advice? I confirmed with them that the Audit was completed and My SOA shows no Audit now but still wont give me a payout date?

Attachments

• sars REFUND.jpg
    sars REFUND.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

surface

Honorary Master
My SO didn't get tax refund as per below calculation. Granted, she had some extra income via interest but that was negligible. Tax refund is about 50K less than what she should have got based on marginal rate calculation.

Any ideas? Do we need to log a dispute ?

To calculate your retirement annuity tax refund, you must multiply the amount of your contribution by your marginal tax rate (the highest tax rate applied to any part of your income). So if you contribute, say R12,000 per year, and your marginal tax rate is 25%, then you would get a refund of R3,000. If your marginal tax rate was 41%, your refund would be R4,920.

RazorCPT

Submitted my documentation on the 7th (rental income). Finally got my "documentation verification completed" letter a few mins ago. Now the next phase of waiting for payment.

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

My SO didn't get tax refund as per below calculation. Granted, she had some extra income via interest but that was negligible. Tax refund is about 50K less than what she should have got based on marginal rate calculation.

Any ideas? Do we need to log a dispute ?

For her to have gotten back R50k, at the max tax rate of 42% her contributions must have been at least +-R119k. Is that correct? It depends on her tax bracket, contributions, taxable income, so a lot of variables.

surface

Honorary Master
For her to have gotten back R50k, at the max tax rate of 42% her contributions must have been at least +-R119k. Is that correct? It depends on her tax bracket, contributions, taxable income, so a lot of variables.
Thanks for responding. She contributed 330K. At 41% marginal rate, she should have got back 135K as per my back of the envelope calculation. She got about 84K and as I said her other income (via interest) is really not much to cause such a huge difference.

Maybe I need to look at her IRP5 - I wonder if it is possible that employer didn't deduct correctly.

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

Thanks for responding. She contributed 330K. At 41% marginal rate, she should have got back 135K as per my back of the envelope calculation. She got about 84K and as I said her other income (via interest) is really not much to cause such a huge difference.

Maybe I need to look at her IRP5 - I wonder if it is possible that employer didn't deduct correctly.
Yes, that doesn't make sense unless there is something else they are not including as deductible. On her tax calc is the whole R330k deducted or not?

surface

Honorary Master
Yes, that doesn't make sense unless there is something else they are not including as deductible. On her tax calc is the whole R330k deducted or not?
Yeah, 330K is accounted for in SARS calculations. I think her PAYE is not correct on IRP5 which is very very strange. Looking into it now. Thanks for responding.

Koosvanwyk

Yeah, 330K is accounted for in SARS calculations. I think her PAYE is not correct on IRP5 which is very very strange. Looking into it now. Thanks for responding.

There is a limit of how much you can deduct. The limit is for all contributions to RA and pension/provident funds combined. Are you sure that she did not exceed the limit (it is R350k or 27.5% of remuneration)

surface

Honorary Master
There is a limit of how much you can deduct. The limit is for all contributions to RA and pension/provident funds combined. Are you sure that she did not exceed the limit (it is R350k or 27.5% of remuneration)
yes. 350K is the limit and she contributed 330K. It looks like PAYE on IRP5 is not correct and SARS has calculated correctly. I have asked her to check with her offices. With a fixed income, one would think it would be easy for her company to calculate her tax but apparently not. :ROFL:

zerocool2009

Executive Member
yes. 350K is the limit and she contributed 330K. It looks like PAYE on IRP5 is not correct and SARS has calculated correctly. I have asked her to check with her offices. With a fixed income, one would think it would be easy for her company to calculate her tax but apparently not. :ROFL:

I know some guys at my work dont pay monthly tax but yearly tax ! :) (its a perk for them)

surface

Honorary Master
I know some guys at my work dont pay monthly tax but yearly tax ! :) (its a perk for them)
yeah, I did look at it this way but put that against getting 50K more in July if taxes were cut correctly. I would take yearly perk over monthly perk tbh. :ROFL: