SARS E-Filing 2020/21

Nikkivah74

Has anybody been asked to submit additional supporting documents after already doing so 20 days ago on the 1st July and received
Yes... and then supplied everything for 2021 and 2020 and received completion letters again, and was just informed it will take 60 days to receive payout... if they agree with everything... I guess a completion letter means nothing anymore.

Nikkivah74

I am in the same boat as you. Guess it is just a matter of waiting...
JUST SPOKE TO THEM THIS MORNING. Apparently they have sixty days from last contact to pay out... if they agree with everything. Guess completion letters mean nothjng

SupremeELITE69

JUST SPOKE TO THEM THIS MORNING. Apparently they have sixty days from last contact to pay out... if they agree with everything. Guess completion letters mean nothjng
The supporting documents relate to my log book, i use the sars logbook since 2016, literally a copy and paste from there website. Never have i had an issue with the way i document my claim on the logbook and now they are asking me to add to the information.... on day f@$€&ng 20.. SERIOUSLY SARS.

i pay SARS in the region of 450-490k annually in TAX without fail..

SARS IS DELIBERATELY DELAYING REFUNDS TO TAX PAYERS....

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Yes... and then supplied everything for 2021 and 2020 and received completion letters again, and was just informed it will take 60 days to receive payout... if they agree with everything... I guess a completion letter means nothing anymore.
Query them
78ea23abaf1c3970649eaa4515b088d7.jpg

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Yes... however everyday it's another excuse..now saying audits take 60 days... even though I have completion letters for everything
SARS is useless, getting a straightforward answer from them is like trying to tap blood from a stone....
Most of the call center people are casual workers during tax season hence the different answers from different people.

Pansyfaust

Would anybody have any insight on what needs to be done here? I figured my return would need to submit documents for verification as one of the trades I do generated a loss, while another generated a gain, and overall meant I would be due a small refund. I did not claim for WFH expenses, and I am already a provisional tax payer.

So I submitted my itr12 and got the calculation and request for supporting documents for verification, however I realised my refund was a bit more than I calculated the previous day (doh for not doing a calculation before submitting), so went through the return and noticed I had made an error and included one set of the costs for one trade into both of the trade expenses. So I applied for correction, and redid the return, correcting the mistake. Now there are two requests for supporting documents, one for documents for review, which I already had all on hand and submitted, and one for audit. Both are asking for the same documents in their verification letters though. They've acknowledged receipt of the supporting documents, but there is still this outstanding supporting documents link waiting for upload, so what should I do with that, since I've already submitted documents for the first supporting documents request?
1627574926368.png

1627574957561.png

Also, both requests for supporting documents have the same case number, so still not sure what to do.

Koosvanwyk

Would anybody have any insight on what needs to be done here? I figured my return would need to submit documents for verification as one of the trades I do generated a loss, while another generated a gain, and overall meant I would be due a small refund. I did not claim for WFH expenses, and I am already a provisional tax payer.

So I submitted my itr12 and got the calculation and request for supporting documents for verification, however I realised my refund was a bit more than I calculated the previous day (doh for not doing a calculation before submitting), so went through the return and noticed I had made an error and included one set of the costs for one trade into both of the trade expenses. So I applied for correction, and redid the return, correcting the mistake. Now there are two requests for supporting documents, one for documents for review, which I already had all on hand and submitted, and one for audit. Both are asking for the same documents in their verification letters though. They've acknowledged receipt of the supporting documents, but there is still this outstanding supporting documents link waiting for upload, so what should I do with that, since I've already submitted documents for the first supporting documents request?
View attachment 1116802

View attachment 1116804

Also, both requests for supporting documents have the same case number, so still not sure what to do.
It is standard practice for SARS to change the verification to an audit when a correction is made to a previously submitted return before the verification is complete. I have done it a few times and in all cases the type of review changed to an audit.

You need to submit the supporting documents that are linked to the audit request. SARS will ignore the documents that have been submitted under the review request.

EDIT: You might also get a verification fail letter, basically telling you the verification could not be complete, which makes sense as this is no longer relevant

Pansyfaust

It is standard practice for SARS to change the verification to an audit when a correction is made to a previously submitted return before the verification is complete. I have done it a few times and in all cases the type of review changed to an audit.

You need to submit the supporting documents that are linked to the audit request. SARS will ignore the documents that have been submitted under the review request.

EDIT: You might also get a verification fail letter, basically telling you the verification could not be complete, which makes sense as this is no longer relevant
Is that what this basically means? 1627575903901.png

adoali

You cannot do as suggested if you are a salaried employee, the ITA does not allow for this.
i know what i am talking about, the wizard asks you if there are any deductions you need to claim, thats where you can claim any expenses that you want. The only things that are a must to be apportioned are things like rent /water/electricity bill/ cleaning costs and other household/office maintenance. Things such as desk/chair/data etc you don't need to portion them, you just need to provide proof which is an invoice. If you happen to make a mistake and apportion them then now you must prove how you calculated the apportionment.

modern10

Expert Member
i know what i am talking about, the wizard asks you if there are any deductions you need to claim, thats where you can claim any expenses that you want. The only things that are a must to be apportioned are things like rent /water/electricity bill/ cleaning costs and other household/office maintenance. Things such as desk/chair/data etc you don't need to portion them, you just need to provide proof which is an invoice. If you happen to make a mistake and apportion them then now you must prove how you calculated the apportionment.
No you're wrong. As a salaried employee the apportionment applies to all working from home expenses/home office expenses.

Koosvanwyk

The original post was about telecommunication cost. This is an expense that can be claimed in terms of section 11(a) of the Income Tax Act. Your reference to "desks" / "chairs" is something completely different. These need to be assessed ito section 11(e) and not section 11(a). The initial post had nothing to do with section 11(e) deductions.

When you are a salaried employee any 11(a) deduction has to also comply with section 23(b) and 23(m). These sections limit and prohibit certain deductions (prohibited expense include household and bond insurance cost, home phone and cell phone cost, initial fees for fibre installation etc are all specifically prohibited, and nothing can be deducted).

For 11(a) deductions you have to use the apportionment method (the actual text used is "Should you qualify for a deduction in respect of home office expenses, the amount must be calculated on the following basis: A / B x total costs". There is actually a very old interpretation note 28 that explains this very nicely (interestingly, according to this ISP cost is included in those items that are prohibited ito section 23(m))

P.S. Staring with "I know what I am talking about" is probably not the best strategy when you are trying to debate anything as it often points to the exact opposite.