SARS limitations don’t apply to local ecommerce imports

MirageF1

Expert Member
SARS limitations don’t apply to local ecommerce imports

The South African Revenue Service (SARS) recently started enforcing clauses in the Customs and Excise Act relating to personal imports.

Speaking to TimesLive, SARS confirmed that citizens who bring goods into the country more than three times a year will need to apply for an importer’s code.
Another effin' ridiculous gov legislation meant for pure money grabbing.
It's not like their customs service is worth a zak, or ever has been....

whatwhat

Executive Member
This is just an ad for WantitAll.

SARS isn't doing anything new.

quovadis

Expert Member
So much hostility. Wantitall provides a service which you either can benefit from or not. If the price is not right then do it yourself or use a competitor - simple as that.

Speedster

Executive Member
So much hostility. Wantitall provides a service which you either can benefit from or not. If the price is not right then do it yourself or use a competitor - simple as that.
MyBB shouldn't be providing free advertising for a ridiculously overpriced site like wantitall. And if this was a paid advert, they should state that.

quovadis

Expert Member
MyBB shouldn't be providing free advertising for a ridiculously overpriced site like wantitall. And if this was a paid advert, they should state that.
MyBB can do whatever they like - they don't have to do anything other than what is required by law. If you're looking for in-depth journalism on subjects such as importing then this may not be the place for you.

dj2381

Expert Member
"The restriction requires applying for an importer’s code, which can require a large amount of paperwork and can take a fair amount of time to process." BS comment to promote Wantitnever more than likely, it's really not very hard.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I got my importer's code a while back - cost me about R1000 to get an accountant to do all the work for me. I never even had to get out of my chair. Would pay for itself with 3 bottles of vegemite. Don't let wantitall or others con you in to thinking it's a difficult or super expensive thing to get.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
How exactly are they enforcing this?

I dont declare what I import to sars as frankly its none of the !@##$!@ business, are they just going to stop it at Customs, not everything even passes customs?

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Can someone explain what the point of an importers code is? From a SARS perspective? It's not like you are avoiding paying duty by not having it?

Praeses

Expert Member
I think SARS is just hoping to lighten the load on the imports - since they currently can take months to clear an item at customs. Instead of implementing a better system, they rather go and cripple the system.