SARS limitations don’t apply to local ecommerce imports

Speedster

Executive Member
MyBB can do whatever they like - they don't have to do anything other than what is required by law. If you're looking for in-depth journalism on subjects such as importing then this may not be the place for you.
I'm guessing you work for wantitall? That is the only reason you'd be so defensive on this

Jings

Honorary Master
I think SARS is just hoping to lighten the load on the imports - since they currently can take months to clear an item at customs. Instead of implementing a better system, they rather go and cripple the system.
Yep, that sounds like SARS.

newby_investor

Expert Member
SARS isn't doing anything new.
AFAIK, this has been in the law for some time, they are just starting to enforce it recently. A colleague of mine ran into this due to importing lots of stuff for his hobbies. He has an importers code now, it wasn't a great expense but the hassle was non-trivial apparently.

How exactly are they enforcing this?
It's easy enough to enforce. You need to give your ID number to the importing company, Aramex or DHL or whatever. Even when you order on Amazon you have to do this. Then Customs just keeps a tally of your imports for the current financial year. >3? Then you need to get an importer's code.

First 3 orders in your name. Next 3 orders in your wife's name. Next 3 orders in your kid's name,.... and so on.
Bingo...

whatwhat

Executive Member
It's easy enough to enforce. You need to give your ID number to the importing company, Aramex or DHL or whatever. Even when you order on Amazon you have to do this. Then Customs just keeps a tally of your imports for the current financial year. >3? Then you need to get an importer's code.
When I stayed in South Africa I had about 2-3 parcels arrive per week from items bought online. Never got asked for any importers code.

Ap0c

ParcelNinja CEO Justin Drennan
Company Rep
Hi guys,

Just to clarify the pricing. If you notice on wantitall.co.za, there is no way to 'browse' products. We dont promote browsing and discovery of products. We are there to service people who want a specific product from the USA.

There are over 140M products listed on the site, and not ALL the data quality is up to scratch. We also fly all products in from the US, which is expensive.

So when you want to order some vegemite.... we aren't the place to buy it. Ignore the price and move on to another product. The weight is probably wrong, hence the ridiculous price. Even if 0.01% have incorrect weight, its a big number, which we are unable to fix at this stage.

The business does not exist to do your generic shopping. Its there to service people who are looking for a once-off solution for getting a product.

Hope this explains.

Speedster

Executive Member
Hi guys,

Just to clarify the pricing. If you notice on wantitall.co.za, there is no way to 'browse' products. We dont promote browsing and discovery of products. We are there to service people who want a specific product from the USA.

There are over 140M products listed on the site, and not ALL the data quality is up to scratch. We also fly all products in from the US, which is expensive.

So when you want to order some vegemite.... we aren't the place to buy it. Ignore the price and move on to another product. The weight is probably wrong, hence the ridiculous price. Even if 0.01% have incorrect weight, its a big number, which we are unable to fix at this stage.

The business does not exist to do your generic shopping. Its there to service people who are looking for a once-off solution for getting a product.

Hope this explains.
Could you perhaps give an example of a product that would be competitively priced from wantitall?

Ap0c

Company Rep

pozmans

Does anyone know how they actually survive as a business? Although, I guess they just need one sucker to buy an item and it'll be able to sustain them for a year.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I've brought in around 10-15 items this year so far, the most recent one just cleared customs yesterday and looks like it didn't get flagged so I'm pretty happy about that.

Ap0c

Company Rep
Does anyone know how they actually survive as a business? Although, I guess they just need one sucker to buy an item and it'll be able to sustain them for a year.
Only been running for 11 years - must be doing something right :)

semaphore

Honorary Master
Price gouge much.

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-DROK-Adjustable-Transmitter-Simulation/dp/B071NLGP6L

Order Summary
Items:ZAR 407.25Shipping & handling:ZAR 136.15Total before tax:ZAR 543.40Estimated tax to be collected:ZAR 0.00Import Fees Deposit:ZAR 67.26Order total:ZAR 610.66

semaphore

Honorary Master
We don't have those same numbers based on the data feed we have.
So that's your excuse for charging ludicrous prices? Basically rip off the client ? Not do your due diligence in putting correct figures, lovely business practice you got going there. Quantity over quality. Pathetic.

Ap0c

Company Rep
So that's your excuse for charging ludicrous prices? Basically rip off the client ? Not do your due diligence in putting correct figures, lovely business practice you got going there. Quantity over quality. Pathetic.
I try to explain the prices are based on data we get, and we have over 140M SKU's to manage, which makes data quality an issue. Its just our approach to it. It doens't work for all people, I understand that - its not for all people.

semaphore

Honorary Master
I try to explain the prices are based on data we get, and we have over 140M SKU's to manage, which makes data quality an issue. Its just our approach to it. It doens't work for all people, I understand that - its not for all people.
Wow, you really do not do your company any justice with those asinine remarks. Basically you give two ****s about the client.

Here is some free advice, perhaps don't make it public knowledge that you don't vet the garbage you put into your system.

Ap0c

Company Rep
Wow, you really do not do your company any justice with those asinine remarks. Basically you give two ****s about the client.
Sorry, maybe I should be more clear. There are going be issues with prices. We accept that. We know there will be products which are excessively expensive. At present we don't have a solution for this, and as such we service the market which are looking for once-off products. If the prices aren't competitive, we acknowledge that and I'm sure we lose sales.

The effort vs. reward to fix is not economically viable.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Sorry, maybe I should be more clear. There are going be issues with prices. We accept that. We know there will be products which are excessively expensive. At present we don't have a solution for this, and as such we service the market which are looking for once-off products. If the prices aren't competitive, we acknowledge that and I'm sure we lose sales.

The effort vs. reward to fix is not economically viable.
You really should just stop posting, because you're digger a deeper hole with each response. :laugh:

I just proved that you gouge people with your "niche" market item that someone bought, you said your data doesn't support that. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate those tools. Or better yet employ some engineers that can apply some data science algorithms to get more realistic prices. But that'd be to much effort right, no reward... rofl...