SARS' plans to deal with a tax revolt

Sysifus

They better move fast. If a tax revolt (not an organised one, just a massive loss of trust and respect in the state) spreads wide it is unstoppable. There won't be enough "police" and it will quickly spiral out of any control.
It is already widespread.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
i like how this guy makes it sound like people are doing it because of selfish reasons and that it has nothing to do with all the billions of taxpayer money being stolen by government.

Prodicalson

S. A. R. S is the first one to collect monies from people as soon as they have to pay back they make it absolutely difficult for u to get it so yes THEY MUST BE BROUGHT TO JUCTICE so Edward let start by U

Swa

Honorary Master
Speaking to the Sunday Times, Kieswetter said that the public wants to see more criminals brought to justice for dodging their taxes.
No we want to see real criminals brought to justice, not ordinary citizens that are a soft target. How about the government put that money to better use instead? There's also a principle in law that you can't go after certain "targets" to make an example. If Sars wants to prosecute for dodging taxes they have to do it equally with both big amounts and small amounts or else they risk setting a precedent that the amount determines the seriousness of the case thereby invalidating the law.

And sorry for Mr Du Toit as well. We can justify withholding tax. Why should a small subset of the population keep paying for the choice of the majority that keeps voting in a corrupt and inefficient government?

FNfal

Executive Member
A real organised tax revolt will be devastating to this country and there is no way SARS will be able to deal with it no matter what they think or say .

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
i like how this guy makes it sound like people are doing it because of selfish reasons and that it has nothing to do with all the billions of taxpayer money being stolen by government.
When I pay money, I expect to get value in return, if I don't get expected value, then I do not pay - simple.

No rocket science involved.

Stephenla

Dear Mr Kieswetter, maybe you should also concentrate your mind on the out and out corruption in Government - look at lifestyle checks on all ministers, and civil servants who have managed to diddle the TAXPAYER's monies from the system designed to pay for OUR services and which have been utterly decimated by our Governing party and their friends and family. We pay our tax but it goes nowhere. We do not see it - The decline can also be attributed to the loss of confidence in the future of the country and the decline in investment by locals and overseas investors alike - particularly SKILLED Locals who are LEAVING in their droves for pastures where their skills and job creation and money making abilities will be appreciated, unlike here.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Q. Why is there a tax revolt?

Are taxes too high for the services we received?
Is there too much theft/wasteful expenditure of tax money?
Are there too few tax payers?
Is the tax base shrinking because of immigration?

Here are some of the taxes:
  • Pay as You Earn (PAYE)
  • Provisional tax
  • Value Added Tax (VAT)
  • Capitals Gains Tax
  • Dividends Tax
  • Fuel Levy
  • Road Accident Fund Levy
  • Customs Duties
  • Diamond Export Levy
  • Excise Levy
  • Tyre Levy
  • Plastic Bag Levy
  • CO2 Levy
  • Electric Filament Levy
  • Non-Renewable Electricity Levy
  • International air passenger departure tax
  • Expatriates tax (new)
  • Inheritance tax / Estate duty
  • Interest taxation
  • Lump-sum pre-retirement tax
  • Lump-sums upon retirement tax
  • Mining lease and ownership Taxes
  • Mining royalties
  • Municipal Property Rates
  • Retrenchment packages tax
  • Retirement funds income tax
  • Securities Transfer Tax
  • Sin Taxes (Cigarettes, Liquor)
  • Skills development levy
  • Standard income tax on employees (SITE)
  • Transfer duty
  • Turnover tax
  • Unemployment insurance
  • Withholding tax
  • Donations tax
  • Company income tax
  • Transfer Duties (property)
Mike Schüssler data shows that SA has the ninth-highest tax-to-GDP burden in the world.

That's why there is a tax revolt - too much tax.
Agree, there's too much tax being paid to make up for the money that just gets looted by the government "leaders". They have led us astray and now you see the buzzword "turnaround" being mentioned at every corner as though we are now asked to endure yet another attempt by the ANC government to deliver proper services to the citizens.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member

Yes, yes I know that you have to pay VAT, but that is beyong many people's comprehension in SA.

The problem is these people seemingly believe in 'all authority but no responsibility'..there are always two parties in any argument/wrong doing etc..it is one thing to collect Taxes, it is quite something else in how you spend it and/or misuse it..one cannot help but wonder whether those who are involved knows the difference or is this just seen as on BIG cookie jar for them...?

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Easy to solve the financial woes in this country. Pres and deputy pres get the usual benefits. After those two, use your bloated salary, I don't care if you are the cabinet minister of presidential fellatio, you getting more than a mill a year which is WAY above the average SA salary, so, therefore :

House, medical aid, private security, private school, holidays - all from your salary.

You know, like the rest of the country has to do. Also no state pension, you want a retirement fund, pay into it out of your salary.

ANY outside income is to be declared, even if it is winning R10 on the lotto. If it is not declared then bam, instantly suspended without pay until the matter is resolved.

garp

Executive Member
If they start aggressively going after the average joe for claiming a deduction on the odd expense that he probably shouldn’t have or not mentioning a minor bit of income while Zuma & co, the thugs from the EFF, and all the other gangsters carry on looting billions with impunity, then they will only make the revolt 10x worse.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
The problem is these people seemingly believe in 'all authority but no responsibility'..there are always two parties in any argument/wrong doing etc..it is one thing to collect Taxes, it is quite something else in how you spend it and/or misuse it..one cannot help but wonder whether those who are involved knows the difference or is this just seen as on BIG cookie jar for them...?
An endless cookie jar, which they are "entitled" to abuse as they please.

They so do like being entitled, tho I will be buggered if I can see where that entitlement originates.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
As I said elsewhere, when I pay money for something, I expect to get value in return. No value recieved, and the no money paid out. Very simple.