TeeM

I used to work as a vacation work student (FY 14, 15, 16) for 6 weeks each year while studying and I would get taxed on it. I started working this year and have filed my tax return (FY17) and I am awaiting audit so that I can get my refund. My question is can I still file my tax returns for those times that I worked and get my refund back. I didn’t have a tax number then as I was still a student but my income was taxed. I do have the IRP5 forms for those 3 years from the same company I’m working at.

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
How do you have IRP5 forms if you never had a tax number? Sounds dodge. How much did you earn to get taxed and get an IRP5?

TeeM

I work for a big company so they always generate this IRP5 forms I was just not aware I don't know how but in those years they wouldn't write my tax number on the forms they would leave it out. Its only now that they wrote the tax number on the FY17 IRP5 form after they registered. It was just round about R15000 for those 6 weeks each year. So the total taxed amount was just below R3000 in total over those 3 years

Last edited:

signates

Executive Member
How do you have IRP5 forms if you never had a tax number? Sounds dodge. How much did you earn to get taxed and get an IRP5?

Having a tax number was not always a requirement to get an IRP5. In fact, you can still generate IRP5 certificates without employee tax numbers.

Determining whether or not to tax an employee is also not only limited to how much they earn, but also to the type of employment.

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
Ah ok.

Earning R15 000 a year is surely way below the tax bracket for those not required to pay tax? So why would this company even bother reporting and deducting tax?

signates

Executive Member
Ah ok.

Earning R15 000 a year is surely way below the tax bracket for those not required to pay tax? So why would this company even bother reporting and deducting tax?

Type of employment. He was probably taxed at a flat rate of 25% because of the type of employment and not based on the amount paid.

If he's below the tax threshold and under normal employment, they still need to declare it but would issue him with and IT3a certificate and not an IRP5.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Many many moons ago when I first started working I didn't have a tax number, about a year after my first job I got a tax number and it picked up a previous IRP5, I'm guessing from my ID number. Got more tax money back :)