SARS: What reference number to use for EFT payment???

DaveSemm

I've been using eFiling for years and always got a refund. This is the first year that I owe SARS money. The last day to make the payment is today, which is unfortunately a weekend, and before a holiday. But I thought I was ready: I read the instructions very carefully, and found the right account to pay into, and used my tax reference number as the deposit reference. The bank EFT system rejected the reference number, saying the format is wrong. I re-read the instructions and now realized that they don't say what to use for the deposit reference: they just say "All internet payments must be correctly referenced to ensure that SARS is able to identify your payment and correctly allocate it to your account. You will not be able to make a payment if your reference is incorrect." That's it.

Does anyone know what the reference number should be?

They start charging interest from 1 December if the payment doesn't go thru today....

padjakkels

Today is already to late. Its weekend. Payment should have been made yesterday.

Print a ITSA (income tax statement) from efiling, at the bottom it will show the reference nr what you should use.

DaveSemm

Print a ITSA (income tax statement) from efiling, at the bottom it will show the reference nr what you should use.
Thanks for the fast response. The ITA34 Notice of Assessment form has my normal Tax Reference Number all over it (top and bottom of every page), but doesn't say specifically what to use for an EFT deposit reference. I went to the eFiling site and the section on EFT explains how to find the account to pay into (SARS- <Tax Type>), but doesn't say what to use for the reference - it just says it has to be right! There is an alternative to EFT which generates a PRN (Payment Reference Number), but this is not for EFT - it is like a debit order.

The ITA34 does say the 31st is the last day to pay, but of course now I can't call SARS to get help.

DaveSemm

I downloaded a document from eFiling: "GEN-PAYM-01-G01 - SARS Payment Rules - External Guide" It says the PRN number is a 19 digit number and it is supposed to be on the ITA form. There is no 19 digit number, but at the top of each page it has my tax reference number, the document number and the year, which if I put them together are 19 digits. But since I don't know if this is right, or the right order to put them in, I don't want to try it - the bank might approve the payment but SARS might not recognize it.

Rabobi

Executive Member

Are you making this up?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I downloaded a document from eFiling: "GEN-PAYM-01-G01 - SARS Payment Rules - External Guide" It says the PRN number is a 19 digit number and it is supposed to be on the ITA form. There is no 19 digit number, but at the top of each page it has my tax reference number, the document number and the year, which if I put them together are 19 digits. But since I don't know if this is right, or the right order to put them in, I don't want to try it - the bank might approve the payment but SARS might not recognize it.
Oh yeah that fkin thing - I recall having the same problem. Ended up patching the 19 digit number together too - don't recall from what though. It did work.

Really poor design by SARS there - referring to a number that isn't shown anywhere as a whole (from my searching anyway).

Last edited:

DaveSemm

Impossible to pay. Constant errors using nedbank
That's reassuring! :crylaugh: But not entirely unexpected. In the past, I've also not had much luck getting thru to them on the phone. And I once had to go to a SARS office because they claimed I had changed my bank details (I hadn't), and spent hours in the queue, and another half hour explaining to them that the bank details they had were the same as always.

Last edited:

Rabobi

Executive Member
From a previous thread, worked
or those needing the payment reference number format for assessed tax (personal):

Your 10 digit reference number followed by a T (for tax) and eight zeros

eg

0123456789T00000000

DaveSemm

It turns out you don't need to do an EFT to do an EFT... I was searching all over the eFiling site for the ITSA form which was mentioned here and on some other threads, but when I got to the place where its supposed to be (in the ITA34 section), I found a button "Pay Now". Clicking it took me to a few more forms, and I ended up with a "Payment Request Confirmation", and I received an SMS from my bank saying they had received a "Payment Instruction". So apparently that's that. No reference number required, and no logging into the bank to do an EFT.

mister

Executive Member
So apparently that's that. No reference number required, and no logging into the bank to do an EFT.
No that's not that! You have to now login to your bank and authorize the tax payment!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
It turns out you don't need to do an EFT to do an EFT... I was searching all over the eFiling site for the ITSA form which was mentioned here and on some other threads, but when I got to the place where its supposed to be (in the ITA34 section), I found a button "Pay Now". Clicking it took me to a few more forms, and I ended up with a "Payment Request Confirmation", and I received an SMS from my bank saying they had received a "Payment Instruction". So apparently that's that. No reference number required, and no logging into the bank to do an EFT.
eh...that is surprise #2.

Had the same thing - it didn't take. Ended up EFTing the money. Think it'll probably be fine for the bigger banks though...

upup

Executive Member
For me it was a struggle, after about 3 tries came right, I phone them.

Bokkie_

Expert Member
I also struggled with first the push payment thing from eFiling site (code 033 error... wt?) and then eft from ABSA (reference error).

Google a lot for a PRN number explanation.

Gave up and got SARS to phone me.

Apparently for us normal income tax payments, you have to select the Tax Type as Assessed Tax and then add the letter T and eight zeros to the back of your income tax ref number.

It worked.

But... why cant the banks after selecting Assessed Tax as tax type know to just append T00000000 to your reference number? Surely it cant be that difficult?