SA's electric car boom is coming

Lukcydog

still waiting for this supposed charging infra. expansion. Unfortunately I know some of the suppliers (already in place and/or are evaluating the feasibility) and the biggest challenge is not the chargers, it's the "Eskom can't supply what is required"...

Joseph matane

I thought Mercedes Benz is officially launching EQA, EQC and EQS locally before June 2022 and Volkswagen is doing feasibility study locally regarding ID.4 launch which might happen towards last quarter of 2022

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Not at the currently inflated prices they charge its not.

The SA brands are just trying to cash in on the gullible at this point.

Need to drop 30% to come in line with the international prices relative to petrol and diesel models.

quovadis

Executive Member
still waiting for this supposed charging infra. expansion. Unfortunately I know some of the suppliers (already in place and/or are evaluating the feasibility) and the biggest challenge is not the chargers, it's the "Eskom can't supply what is required"...
For the average person they'll charge at home (Eskom willing). I'm sure though that many will choose to install PV and use their cars as residual batteries.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Charging is the least of my concerns, I have ample spare capacity. I would own one in a heartbeat if they were competitively priced.
Imagine having a 100kWh battery feeding the house and a bidirectional meter that pays you when you feed in when eskom is crying for power!

Instacar

Public transport of those of workers daily
LOL

19 Hours ago: Bad news about Eskom load-shedding
Now: SA's electric car boom is coming

I'm beginning to think MyBB is owned by the "She had ten babies I promise" guy.
Where do you live, I need to send you a bells.

B-1

Expert Member
The problem is most manufacturers are looking to phase out the internal combustion engine pretty quickly. We are falling further and further behind the rest of the world and will have to make due with the scraps we get thrown.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
The problem is most manufacturers are looking to phase out the internal combustion engine pretty quickly. We are falling further and further behind the rest of the world and will have to make due with the scraps we get thrown.
This^^^^^

Government needs to start pulling finger to keep the existing manufacturing here, otherwise thats another industry done for.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
That's OK, we can just rename the country to "Cuba".

• Haha
Reactions: B-1

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
For the average person they'll charge at home (Eskom willing). I'm sure though that many will choose to install PV and use their cars as residual batteries.

What size solar panel system and batteries do you have at home? There's no way a run of the mill standard home installation is going to charge a car at night...