SAS troops fool Taliban by disguising as ‘devout’ women in burqas in dramatic Kabul escape

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I think there was a number, along with 80 000 servants as well, but it wasn't 72 virgins and 80 000 servants FOR EACH person that died. I wasn't a verse or something said by Mohammed, but some other person close to Mohammed that said it. This is how stories get muddled up.

Still not a great moral story overall, but it came from a different era when people valued different things. It has become a propaganda tool for new suicide bombers as well as a derogatory insult to people fighting for freedom.
I had read something similar to this before:

Two points need to be noted. First, there is no mention anywhere in the Koran of the actual number of virgins available in paradise, and second, the dark-eyed damsels are available for all Muslims,

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Isn't the 72 also a miscommunication? It was supposed to mean "a lot" or "many" not an actual number.

It's actually from Surah 55 (The Beneficent) :72 -74. So a misinterpretation by reading the verse number as a quantity.

55:72 Fair ones, close-guarded in pavilions -

55:73 Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny ? -

55:74 Whom neither man nor jinni will have touched before them - (So virgins)

The Jinn or Jinni; - Evil spirits (or genies) created from fire.

Gyre

Expert Member
I had read something similar to this before:

Yeah, I think the name was Houri and were said to be beautiful women, similar to angels and the grim reaper coming to take people to heaven. With how some muslim countries treat their women, it wouldn't be a surprise that people had no problem believing the context to be sexual but also makes no sense for men asking women to cover up while fantasizing about naked spirits.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
It's actually a miscommunication and not sexual in any instance, they're supposed to be guides in the afterlife, not concubines.

You ever wonder how every suicide bomber was supposed to get 72 virgins? The catch is that they're the same 72 virgins, and they're more tour guides with poorly labelled name tags.
Interesting. Like i said i've always wondered. One wonders if the suicide bombers realise they are the same 72 and that they are therefore getting "USED" virgins.

Gyre

Expert Member
Interesting. Like i said i've always wondered. One wonders if the suicide bombers realise they are the same 72 and that they are therefore getting "USED" virgins.

Like with all religion, you just have to sell the parts that are appealing to get somebody interested. A person eating sand for the rest of their lives or getting 72 women to love them is an easy decision for many, when they don't have access to books, anybody that cares for them, etc.

The actual description of houri from what I remember is actually quite scary in any case, advertising that your 72 virgins are not only the same virgins to everyone, but that their bones glow and eyes are pitch black might make a suicide bomber think twice about what they're doing.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Shows you haven't read the thread at all. If you had, you would have seen that China makes a copy of the Black Hawk. Why would they bother trucking scrap choppers to China?
and Iran? or one of their affiliates being Hezbolla or Hamas,
sure they can use a gently used Black hawk.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Iran can, they even proved it with maintaining American choppers left behind after the other Sh1tsh0w of epic proportions Desert one.

Desert One? You mean Operation Eagle Claw? Desert one was the landing zone, not the name of the operation.

Any military capturing helicopters they don't use and their enemy manufactures is a pyrrhic victory. You don't have the spares nor maintenance procedures to fly them for long. No matter how many you capture. You keep missing the crucial point of maintenance.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Desert One? You mean Operation Eagle Claw? Desert one was the landing zone, not the name of the operation.

Any military capturing helicopters they don't use and their enemy manufactures is a pyrrhic victory. You don't have the spares nor maintenance procedures to fly them for long. No matter how many you capture. You keep missing the crucial point of maintenance.
okay, if you say so,

I beg to differ, as again, they CAN maintain them for long periods.

and is it that hard to find parts? especially with a bit of ingenuity.
I mean the Israelis did it and multiple times, Israel even sold their results to the SADF.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
okay, if you say so,

I beg to differ, as again, they CAN maintain them for long periods.

and is it that hard to find parts? especially with a bit of ingenuity.
I mean the Israelis did it and multiple times, Israel even sold their results to the SADF.

Plans to. Thirty-four years later, one of the RH-53Ds is being rebuilt by Iran’s incredibly resourceful aerospace industry for a second life as a minesweeper and commando transport in Iran’s bizarre, geriatric air arm, which is the flying, front-line equivalent of an aviation museum.

The South African Cheetah and Israeli Kfir used the same parts and were both converted Mirage III's. Israel and SA had plenty Mirage III's. The Israeli's sold the design, not the plane nor conversion capability.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Corelli

Expert Member
Islam will never allow Western style swimwear. There can never be a reformation in Islam. Suggest you go study Islam a bit before commenting.
Yip they tried to ban Bikini's in Bali. At the end they had to drop it...why? Bali is mainly hindu, and they threatened to seperate Bali from Indonesia

JohnStarr

Executive Member
interesting in this case its "anything to survive"... but depending what page you reading from its ok... so the "bad" guys doing anything to survive should then also be viewed with that perspective? Vra Ma Net....
What...like them shooting women for not wearing burkas? That survival? Don't split hairs here. Nobody is talking about the bad guys.
Focus on the topic at hand.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Any examples of modern day Trojan Horse attacks?
sure they have been hijackers putting on flight crew uniforms of the Crew to confuse Snipers,
and with a bit of imagination and bravery, elite Soldiers put on uniforms of the enemy to blend in.
hell, ditch their Humvees to drive around in Hiluxes themselves.

now take it to the next step, and infiltrate a military base with a similar looking Vehicle/Helicopter.
and you can see my point. all it takes is one, might not even make the headlines due to the shame of it.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
sure they have been hijackers putting on flight crew uniforms of the Crew to confuse Snipers,
and with a bit of imagination and bravery, elite Soldiers put on uniforms of the enemy to blend in.
hell, ditch their Humvees to drive around in Hiluxes themselves.

now take it to the next step, and infiltrate a military base with a similar looking Vehicle/Helicopter.
and you can see my point. all it takes is one, might not even make the headlines due to the shame of it.
You don't just fly into and land on a military base. Not even if you appear to be in a "friendly" aircraft. Unless of course you are a gupta and its south africa. Anywhere else an unscheduled landing would arouse suspicion.

Edit : you are correct about the shame part.

eg2505

Honorary Master
You don't just fly into and land on a military base. Not even if you appear to be in a "friendly" aircraft. Unless of course you are a gupta and its south africa. Anywhere else an unscheduled landing would arouse suspicion.

Edit : you are correct about the shame part.
agree, there are all sorts of things like IFF transponders and the like that all wont match up,
but if planned right with a bit of ingenuity, its completely possible for a Force of commandos to get past unaware defenses,
especially if they plan it properly and use some ingenuity.

I mean the Israelis got past the Guards at Entebbe airport, but painting a White Mercedes to Black, to fool them into thinking Idi amin was coming to visit.
(there were very few of those Mercedes in Israel at the time,, due to the embargoes)
so all it takes is a bit of imagination, like on the Golan heights, a UN painted humvee, wouldn't arouse suspicion, not knowing its filled with Terrorists.

same too, the Israeli side would use vehicles that were/are rare in Israel at the time (Land Rovers/Toyota's) , to sneak past guards who think cool they are friendlies.

Last edited: