Sassa says it has no money to extend the temporary disability grant

Cereal_Killer

Forging
The SA Social Security Agency (Sassa) has told parliament that it does not have the money to reinstate and extend the temporary disability grants that lapsed last month.

Dianne Dunkerley, Sassa's executive manager responsible for grants administration, told the National Assembly's social development portfolio committee that the extension of the grant to about 210,000 recipients for the remainder of the financial year would cost about R1.2bn.

Cereal_Killer

Forging
ANC: Lets extend this indefinitely, give out more & increase taxes of the few that still pays taxes. Change employment rules again, hard lockdown so more companies can't operate, increasing unemployment rate. Thus, we can get more voters because we give out free stuff

Cereal_Killer

Forging
Lol, they say it like it's a good thing

Grant

Honorary Master
ANC: Lets extend this indefinitely, give out more & increase taxes of the few that still pays taxes. Change employment rules again, hard lockdown so more companies can't operate, increasing unemployment rate. Thus, we can get more voters because we give out free stuff
Your attitude may be a little different if you were disabled and unable to find a job

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Lol, they say it like it's a good thing

There was an article not too long ago showing that this figure is correct, however, under the apartheid regime there were fewer people on the social grant system as the government wasn't really paying attention to the blacks.
The ANC has therefore fast-tracked the poorer communities and as a result the figures now look very high.

I agree that the numbers have increased a lot in the last 25 years but I also want to know how many were actually suppose to be receiving a social grant in 1996.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Wealth tax coming in the budget speech February. Watch.

dunkyd

Executive Member
and this right here is the problem, too many grant recipients
If a proper audit was done, show and fingerprint the baby, ask why most young girls get cards, check the dead ones still being paid we real people could get a decent pension...

grim101

For that, you feel the disabled should be punished?
The government should give them money from their own pocket. It's not my responsibility to pay because they are disabled.

And grants for all the non workers? Again not really my problem.