Satellite Internet... what's up with that?

BamboozledAttorney

I see big potential into something like that when you look at SpaceX's StarLink program for Satellite Internet (it is like internet without borders in a retrospect) which will accordingly have a maximum speed of almost a gigabit (1000 megabits) a second. I don't know how long it'll be until we are there, but that's why we still use the usual available options. And knowing that ADSL is fading, the other alternatives are Fibre and LTE.

From a sheer point of interest, I looked around on Vox Telecom's website to see what type of services are available at certain places where you would not necessarily expect decent internet like Fibre or LTE at the latest.
I looked at S.t Francis Bay which is a holiday hub for rich saps not wanting to go to Jeffreys. There is no LTE in St. Francis Bay; and knowing that ADSL is getting decommissioned, you are not really left with alternatives for the time being.
Unless you know of the alternative most used ISP in the Jeffreys Bay/Humansdorp/Saint Francis area (which is IGEN Herotel) that offers Line of Sight and is slowly beginning to roll out their own Fibre; there aren't many options available.

According to Vox, this was the alternative I found... which is apparently Satellite Internet.

1596389156979.png

I assume we all know the potential of Fibre and 4G/5G internet (including its Price Range compared to the above), but if you were trying to persuade me into purchasing this sort of Satellite internet for that price (yes, check the installation fee), how would you shame Fibre and LTE?

In closure, I am not saying the service is atrocious, but for that price for that cap with that speed that does not come close to what Fibre and 5G can do at its peak, what are you paying for?

Speedster

Honorary Master
I see big potential into something like that when you look at SpaceX's StarLink program for Satellite Internet (it is like internet without borders in a retrospect) which will accordingly have a maximum speed of almost a gigabit (1000 megabits) a second. I don't know how long it'll be until we are there, but that's why we still use the usual available options. And knowing that ADSL is fading, the other alternatives are Fibre and LTE.

From a sheer point of interest, I looked around on Vox Telecom's website to see what type of services are available at certain places where you would not necessarily expect decent internet like Fibre or LTE at the latest.
I looked at S.t Francis Bay which is a holiday hub for rich saps not wanting to go to Jeffreys. There is no LTE in St. Francis Bay; and knowing that ADSL is getting decommissioned, you are not really left with alternatives for the time being.
Unless you know of the alternative most used ISP in the Jeffreys Bay/Humansdorp/Saint Francis area (which is IGEN Herotel) that offers Line of Sight and is slowly beginning to roll out their own Fibre; there aren't many options available.

According to Vox, this was the alternative I found... which is apparently Satellite Internet.

I assume we all know the potential of Fibre and 4G/5G internet (including its Price Range compared to the above), but if you were trying to persuade me into purchasing this sort of Satellite internet for that price (yes, check the installation fee), how would you shame Fibre and LTE?

In closure, I am not saying the service is atrocious, but for that price for that cap with that speed that does not come close to what Fibre and 5G can do at its peak, what are you paying for?
What is a saterlite? Is that like the opposite of a saterheavy?

Starlink will be $60 uncapped, unshaped and up to gigabit. There is no comparison to any current satellite system.

Exactly. Avanti's biggest clients might not be home users. But still, for that price it is a joke

Geostationary satellite Internet is crazy expensive, just the way it is. You only consider it if you have absolutely no other option.

And crazy latency

Nope, once the full network is up long distance latency could be lower than fibre.

Decreased latency is one of their major selling points, in fact their first customers are going to be stock people trying to undercut the markets with lower pings.

ab-user

Expert Member
Starlink has my address. Will see if they ever want to beta test rural s'africa

techy01

I know these satellite packages are used in rural areas and seems to be a very effective way of connecting to the internet where there is no fibre infrastructure and mobile data signal too low.

They do, however, tend to be quite expensive and don't offer very high speeds.

I also know of people using these wireless satellite ISPs that have constant connectivity issues.

So basically very expensive to install, very expensive connectivity and a few issues every now and then. Doesn't make sense, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

owopeachy

I'm waiting with great anticipation for starlink to go live, the internet in my rural town is painful, herotel's wireless WAN is the best we can get and that isnt saying much. Cannot wait to play on EU servers with decent ping

HartsockZA

the fear of Starlink is plainly put, it will collapse almost all telecom companies. Putting a lot of us little guys to bed as well.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Used satellite connections in for remote sites 12+ years ago when I was still working at Barloworld Equipment. Some branches and mines in the middle of no where used it as that was the only option available back then. Latency was around 500ms, but worked fine, and crap expensive

Last edited:

nad_isa

Do you think its realistic that that Starlink will be available in south africa in next year? probably 2-5 years?

neoprema

Executive Member
This will come in handy for family holidays. We usually go to a place at the coast with like 5% mobile coverage and barely EDGE data.

Can finally actually be online with the phones and laptop instead of using the fishing rod as a pole to hold up a 3G Mi-Fi device that barely got GPRS....