Satellites could soon outnumber visible stars

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Satellites could soon outnumber visible stars

Expect the night sky to start changing fast. One day soon, the stars we can see from Earth could be outnumbered by a vast swarm of satellites.

While many people today live under the murk of light pollution, we can at least still travel to a glittering night sky in the mountains, the desert, or at sea. But if communications technology follows its current trajectory, anyone who wants to escape the byproducts of human activity might have to go to the moon.

Some professional astronomers raised alarms last spring, and again in November, after SpaceX launched batches of 60 Starlink satellites.

[Bloomberg]

eg2505

Honorary Master
so were coming closer and closer to buy n large polluting earth with satellites outnumbering stars.

MirageF1

Executive Member
I've already written at some length about this in a earlier thread...

Most people seemed oblivious, in denial or dispassionate about it.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Space junk has been a problem for a long time already. The issue is being made worse by the proliferation of LEO communication systems with swarms of short-life satellites.
Spent some time in the Karoo recently. It is amazing just how many LEO flashes one now sees We were hoping to view the October Meteor showers but spent more time being distracted by the numerous satellites we saw instead.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Lol not if eskom has anything to say about it. The amount of visible stars greatly increases if you turn off the light pollution.

access

Honorary Master
saw the spacex satellites last week 3 nights in a row, looking toward signal hill within an hour or so of sundown.

i assume it was spacex because it was a whole lot of shining dots in a row moving across the sky. the last one moved sideways though! im sure of it! haha

grok

Honorary Master
It'll be an improvement, for every time I look at the sky it's the same stars in the same places etc.
A moving vista would not be half as boring..

Dryden

Space junk is one thing. As long as they don't come for my space cash.

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
Funny.... I have probably seen about 3 or 4 satellites with my own eyes in my lifetime. This article may just be hyperbole.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Funny.... I have probably seen about 3 or 4 satellites with my own eyes in my lifetime. This article may just be hyperbole.
i see them every weekend stargazing at the dam :)
or maybe its just me super drunk around my campfire seeing things

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No, there are literally dozens of these things now visible all night. We saw more than 10 per hour while in the Karoo on a moonless night.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Global warming will be solved by billions of satellites blocking out the sun. :D