Saudi Arabia executes 37 people in a single day, including three juveniles

eg2505

Honorary Master
crucially NOT a democracy,
just like China can do whatever they like and nobody can say a word.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Just because it was useful at some point, does not make it correct or useful now.
Who gets to decide what's correct or useful at any given time? You can actually have freedom and religion. In fact one could say that you can't have freedom without religious choice. You can also have a lack of freedom, and oppression without religion.

OCP

Expert Member
The world would be a better place without religion.
You are confusing religion with the dark side of human nature.
We are all capable of good and terrible deeds which are not confined to religion/race or gender.

sure, a lot of atrocities have taken place in the name of religions but only because those in power either orchestrated or allowed these things to happen.

Like here for example: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/24/us/boy-scouts-sexual-abuse-allegations/index.html --> nothing to do with religion but abuse on a massive scale by people in positions of power and influence over others.

nb. I am not religious or defending religion; agnostic atheist is probably the closest to what describes my point of view.

JimmyRott

Expert Member
Who gets to decide what's correct or useful at any given time? You can actually have freedom and religion. In fact one could say that you can't have freedom without religious choice. You can also have a lack of freedom, and oppression without religion.
I don't know who gets to decide. And agree with everything else you said.

To me it just seems that at least banning public religious gatherings would go a long way to solving some of the major problems we face and also stop a lot of predatory behaviour towatds the weak and vulnerable.

I don't get how the point you previously tried to make about the utility of religion in the past demonstrates some utility today.

Emjay

Executive Member

To me it just seems that at least banning public religious gatherings would go a long way to solving some of the major problems we face and also stop a lot of predatory behaviour towatds the weak and vulnerable.

I don't get how the point you previously tried to make about the utility of religion in the past demonstrates some utility today.
Limiting freedom of people in this manner is tyrannical. The issue is the ideology of this religion, and it's ability to radicalize so easily. Religion historically has been the cause of a lot of death and destruction, but it is also a massive force for good. It mobilizes communities. Churches provide most of the charity and assistance in an area because it pulls people together. As the Church's role has declined, so has our society's sense of community and charity, and Governments have grown in response to take over more and more aspects of our lives to fill in those gaps. I am not religious, but religion does play an important role in how Western culture has evolved. Respecting other's people's rights to their faith is a cornerstone of that culture.

I don't have answers for this problem, but you don't limit freedoms in response to an issue. You tackle the issue head on. For some reason, this religion seems to get a free pass from condemnation and will attract criticisms of bigotry and racism.

daveza

Honorary Master
You are confusing religion with the dark side of human nature.
We are all capable of good and terrible deeds which are not confined to religion/race or gender.
Just trying to remember when a group of atheists blew up innocent people, or burned people alive, or bombed abortion clinics, or kidnapped schoolgirls, or victimised gays.

Emjay

Executive Member
Just trying to remember when a group of atheists blew up innocent people, or burned people alive, or bombed abortion clinics, or kidnapped schoolgirls, or victimised gays.
The Christchurch Killer had other motives, which were not rooted in religious ideology, to name one.

OCP

Expert Member
Not a group, but individuals like Pol Pot come to mind - there have no doubt been countless others.

As far as I'm concerned you don't need religion to be a despicable human being.

konfab

Honorary Master

I quite agree, throwing a bunch of old ladies in jail after their church tea seems like a good way to solve any problem.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Well I recall that a group of atheists murdered millions in the USSR and China. The religious are just trying to catch up at this stage.