Saudi Arabia executes 37 people in a single day, including three juveniles

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Now that is sinister!
Yeah, and when they run out of that minority group for their harvesting.... do you think they will stop?

If you have a uncommon blood group your organs are worth a small fortune even if you are not.

Makes me also wonder why they kill so many people in one go in Saudi.

Last edited:

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Waiting for people to condemn this. Condemning is so "hurting" they might just stop doing stuff like this

MEIOT

Expert Member
Nope. We'd probably still be in the previous dark age but for Christianity.
Hilarious.
Christianity, much like Islam, is an antiquated way of thought based on people living in a desert eons ago.

Religion hasnt given rise to progress and technological advancement of our species. Quite the contrary. Putting aside religious notions has.

Last edited:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Religion hasnt given rise to progress and technological advancement of our species. Quote the contrary. Putting aside religious notions has.
Talk about hilarious. Saying random things like that is pretty funny.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Seems pretty random and a bit of a generalisation which you make with no supporting facts other than to take a **** on religion.
No.
You are wrong.
Most scientific advancements are made by individuals that put aside childish notions of an all powerful deity controlling each and every minute action of each and every living thing.
Wasn't taking a shite on religion....just pointing out a fact.
Questioners and truth seekers of old were imprisoned and/or tortured and killed in the name of heresy for questioning text contained in books conjured up by desert dwellers in an age where knowledge wasnt the order of the day.

Supporting facts are yours to seek. Hint: maybe start with Galileo's life story. Its a good starting point. Expand from there.
You will learn as you mature and gain knowledge. I wish you well on your journey seeking the supporting and obvious facts

Last edited:

JimmyRott

Expert Member
Limiting freedom of people in this manner is tyrannical. The issue is the ideology of this religion, and it's ability to radicalize so easily. Religion historically has been the cause of a lot of death and destruction, but it is also a massive force for good. It mobilizes communities. Churches provide most of the charity and assistance in an area because it pulls people together. As the Church's role has declined, so has our society's sense of community and charity, and Governments have grown in response to take over more and more aspects of our lives to fill in those gaps. I am not religious, but religion does play an important role in how Western culture has evolved. Respecting other's people's rights to their faith is a cornerstone of that culture.

I don't have answers for this problem, but you don't limit freedoms in response to an issue. You tackle the issue head on. For some reason, this religion seems to get a free pass from condemnation and will attract criticisms of bigotry and racism.
That's clearly false though. We have issues with murder, so we limit peoples freedom to own guns. We have issues with racism, so we limit peoples freedom of speech. We have issues with over fishing so we limit the amount of fish people can keep. Clearly limiting freedoms is often employed in response to issues.

I don't like it either, and in general I am all for as much personal freedom as possible. I think people should be allowed to spike heron if they so choose. But considering the role religion plays in extremism it doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me to remove the main tool through which charismatic leaders are able to subvert vulnerable people.

I also don't buy the fact that churches are great charity organisations. I've spent my fair share of time inside churches and it seems half the time they are just collecting money for a new church building. They also have massive amounts of overheads and indiscriminate allocation of the funds they collect. In my experience charity work is mostly focused on recruiting new people to join the church rather than making a difference in a real charitable way.

Maybe banning them is a bit extreme, but at least we can limit their ability to collect funds by forcing them to register as businesses and pay taxes and get audited like every other business.

surface

Executive Member
Hilarious.
Christianity, much like Islam, is an antiquated way of thought based on people living in a desert eons ago.

Religion hasnt given rise to progress and technological advancement of our species. Quite the contrary. Putting aside religious notions has.
to paraphrase Sam harris - "most people who have plucked chickens in the past have plucked them while believing in christianity, but that does not mean christianity helped them to pluck a chicken ". Replace christianity with any religion and that still holds good.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
"the late hypothesis, fixing the sun as in the centre of the world" as being "built on fallible phenomena, and advanced by many arbitrary presumptions against evident testimonies of Scripture"
The church killed progress for quite a while.

MEIOT

Expert Member
The church killed progress for quite a while.
This is undisputedly true with a mountain of supporting evidence that I wish some would seek out on their own and not just believe blindly.
Quite surprising the about turns the faith takes on some societal matters in the present even though other matters it does not budge on.

Anyway....back on track....what the Saudis did is abhorrent. At least the murdered no longer have to suffer in a society that treats humanity in such a horrific way.

Last edited:

JimmyRott

Expert Member
to paraphrase Sam harris - "most people who have plucked chickens in the past have plucked them while believing in christianity, but that does not mean christianity helped them to pluck a chicken ". Replace christianity with any religion and that still holds good.
To simplify it to that degree does the whole conversation a disservice though. Religion played an undeniable part in our development as a specie and moral systems. Whether it still contributes anything is debatable. I don't think it does. But to completely write off the effects it had in getting us where we are today seems disingenuous.

daveza

Honorary Master
Saudi Arabia’s official press agency has announced that 37 people were killed today in a mass execution.
If we reinstated the death penalty, based on a 10% murder conviction rate we would be executing around 150 a month.

Would make Saudi look positively humanitarian.

MEIOT

Expert Member
If we reinstated the death penalty, based on a 10% murder conviction rate we would be executing around 150 a month.

Would make Saudi look positively humanitarian.
Except the Saudis seem to execute for totally unfounded reasons without due diligence and process.

But...I see your point.

Emjay

Executive Member
That's clearly false though. We have issues with murder, so we limit peoples freedom to own guns. We have issues with racism, so we limit peoples freedom of speech. We have issues with over fishing so we limit the amount of fish people can keep. Clearly limiting freedoms is often employed in response to issues.

I don't like it either, and in general I am all for as much personal freedom as possible. I think people should be allowed to spike heron if they so choose. But considering the role religion plays in extremism it doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me to remove the main tool through which charismatic leaders are able to subvert vulnerable people.

I also don't buy the fact that churches are great charity organisations. I've spent my fair share of time inside churches and it seems half the time they are just collecting money for a new church building. They also have massive amounts of overheads and indiscriminate allocation of the funds they collect. In my experience charity work is mostly focused on recruiting new people to join the church rather than making a difference in a real charitable way.

Maybe banning them is a bit extreme, but at least we can limit their ability to collect funds by forcing them to register as businesses and pay taxes and get audited like every other business.
The issue is not Christianity, Judaism or any other religion. You want to curb freedom of association and religious freedom. I think it leads down an authoritarian path. Once you give governments power to state who we may or may not associate with, it will not stop at religion. We will never agree because this is an ideological issue. Whether religious organisations should pay taxes or not is a different debate all together and will in no way deter religious extremism.