Saudi Arabia executes 37 people in a single day, including three juveniles

daveza

Honorary Master
The church killed progress for quite a while.
https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/A...ims-suppository-cure-for-homosexuality-587684

The homophobic Kuwaiti academic claimed on Scope TV in March that she invented a cure for homosexuality based on Islamic medicine.

“I discovered therapeutic suppositories that curb the sexual urges of boys of the third gender as well as the fourth gender, which is butch lesbians. They have excessive sexual urges,” said the anti-gay and anti-lesbian researcher Dr. Mariam Al-Sohel.

The Scope TV station, based in Kuwait City, broadcast in the interview that the cure is based on “prophetic medicine.”
Al-Sohel claimed, “This is science, and there is nothing to be ashamed of,” and “the sexual urge develops when a person is sexually attacked, and afterward it persists because there is an anal worm that feeds on semen.”

Al-Sohel said her inventions of suppositories “cures those urges by exterminating the worm that feeds on the semen.” She added, “Bitter foods increase masculinity” and “the ingredients [for the cure] are the same (for both sexes) but I made them into different colors.”

marine1

Honorary Master
Has the murderous prince been arrested yet?

This is one of the reasons religion should be abolished. :mad:
Yeah and then we will fight about land, resources, race and whatever else humans can find to fight about.
Thats what we do

Emjay

Executive Member
https://www.csis.org/analysis/islam-and-patterns-terrorism-and-violent-extremism

The fourth section of the report shows the trends in terms of death, injuries, and kidnappings/hostage taking. No one can condone or ignore the numbers killed in the U.S. and Europe, but they are relatively tiny in actuarial terms. For example, there were 658 deaths in Europe and all of the Americas between January 1, 2015 and July 16, 2016. There were 28,031—or 43 times more deaths—in other regions—most of them consisting of largely Islamic countries. Almost all of the human impact of extremist attacks is Muslims killing or injuring fellow Muslims.
Suppressing religious freedom in non-Muslim states is not an answer to this issue when it's Muslim states that are overwhelmingly impacted.

MEIOT

Expert Member
To simplify it to that degree does the whole conversation a disservice though. Religion played an undeniable part in our development as a specie and moral systems. Whether it still contributes anything is debatable. I don't think it does. But to completely write off the effects it had in getting us where we are today seems disingenuous.
Which religion?

Because if the answer is all of them, all 4200 of the current ones and all the thousands and thousands of the long dead ones then this raises more questions around the validity of your post above, considering the plethora of differences between them all.

Morality isnt a by product of religion. There are children born in atheistic homes that are good and moral too. Put simply...we dont need religion to be moral.

Most say that because it's all they know and have nothing to compare it to. A life with religion and indoctrination.

Last edited:

MEIOT

Expert Member
They also get a lot of support from the US.
You do realize that, despite what most may think, Saudi isn't even close to where most muslims call home. In fact, the Islamic variation (indoctrination) the Saudis subscribe to aren't even shared by most muslims. Most muslims subscribe to a different form of indoctrination.

The US/Saudi alliance is clearly one based on necessity not courtesy. Much like the Lannisters banding together (supposedly)with the Starks based on necessity :laugh:

JimmyRott

Expert Member
Which religion?

Because if the answer is all of them, all 4200 of the current ones and all the thousands and thousands of the long dead ones then this raises more questions around the validity of your post above, considering the plethora of differences between them all.

Morality isnt a by product of religion. There are children born in atheistic homes that are good and moral too. Put simply...we dont need religion to be moral.

Most say that because it's all they know and have nothing to compare it to. A life with religion and indoctrination.
Some of them. Which specific ones aren't important. And while I agree that we don't need religion to be moral, it did contribute a whole lot to people developing moral systems. The specifics of the religion are not important, what is important is that it gave people a reason to curb there behavior and consider for a moment the effects it has on their standing in the world and in relation to something other than themselves.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Some of them. Which specific ones aren't important. And while I agree that we don't need religion to be moral, it did contribute a whole lot to people developing moral systems. The specifics of the religion are not important, what is important is that it gave people a reason to curb there behavior and consider for a moment the effects it has on their standing in the world and in relation to something other than themselves.
In that case, and going on what you posted, Australia,France,China,Norway,Iceland and a multitude of other countries with confirmed atheists and their offspring outnumbering there theist counterparts and their offspring in the population of the country will be less moral than said theist counterparts?

Religion does not give people a reason to curb their behaviour. Quite the opposite in fact. Religion gives people license to act out on religiously prescribed differences and dogma. Look at history and the atrocities committed in the name of religion, all different types of religions. Or look close to the present and see what's going on still in the name of religion. It makes your argument less convincing.

Do you perhaps not see how your thinking could be based on argument from ignorance?

I argue that children born in an atheist family across the multitude of countries where atheism is more prevalent, are born and raised humanistic and moral as much, if not more, than a child born free of any religion and indoctrinated in to one.

Last edited:

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Disagree. Knowledge, not belief, has furthered the human race.
And we would probabily be even further down the knowledge path without religion, as well as far less divided as a species.
We no longer require religion as a species, we need to eradicate the divisiveness of religious belief systems , and we cannot do that while religion still plays such a prominent role in peoples lives , governments and politics.
Religion has become a ball and chain hindering and strangling our species move towards a far less divided society.
Countries such as Saudi that run on or subscribe heavily to religious doctrine should in fact no longer be welcome as part of the greater gobal community.

Emjay

Executive Member
In that case, and going on what you posted, Australia,France,China,Norway,Iceland and a multitude of other countries with confirmed atheists and their offspring outnumbering there theist counterparts and their offspring in the population of the country will be less moral than said theist counterparts?

Religion does not give people a reason to curb their behaviour. Quite the opposite in fact. Religion gives people license to act out on religiously prescribed differences and dogma. Look at history and the atrocities committed in the name of religion, all different types of religions. Or look close to the present and see what's going on still in the name of religion. It makes your argument less convincing.

Do you perhaps not see how your thinking could be based on argument from ignorance?

I argue that children born in an atheist family across the multitude of countries where atheism is more prevalent, are born and raised humanistic and moral as much, if not more, than a child born free of any religion and indoctrinated in to one.
Your argument falls completely flat when you realize that religious extremism is perpetuated by a very small minority. Those people committing atrocities are radicalized through a long process. You can do a little bit of reading into this process: https://info-radical.org/en/radicalization/the-radicalization-process/. The eradication of religion is not the answer. In fact, it will drive more extremism because your solution rests on the curtailment of freedoms.

1556198837212.png

What anti-religious types fail to also recognize is that religion has just been replaced with big government. And there will always be reasons for violence. Religion is really a set of ideologies. So are political parties.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Your argument falls completely flat when you realize that religious extremism is perpetuated by a very small minority. Those people committing atrocities are radicalized through a long process. You can do a little bit of reading into this process: https://info-radical.org/en/radicalization/the-radicalization-process/. The eradication of religion is not the answer. In fact, it will drive more extremism because your solution rests on the curtailment of freedoms.

View attachment 650116

What anti-religious types fail to also recognize is that religion has just been replaced with big government. And there will always be reasons for violence. Religion is really a set of ideologies. So are political parties.
Considering most of the points I raised in that post you replied on is based on verifiable fact....Which part of my argument in your opinion falls flat?
If you read the post you replied on you might have realized my argument was about my strong opinions negating religion being a requirement for morality.

Not sure how your reply relates in any way to my post and I'm not entirely sure what point it is you're attempting to get across if any at all. Love the flow chart though. Nice touch.

Emjay

Executive Member
Considering most of the points I raised in that post you replied on is based on verifiable fact....Which part of my argument in your opinion falls flat?
If you read the post you replied on you might have realized my argument was about my strong opinions negating religion being a requirement for morality.

Not sure how your reply relates in any way to my post and I'm not entirely sure what point it is you're attempting to get across if any at all. Love the flow chart though. Nice touch.
Ok, so you are not arguing for the eradication of religion then?

Edit:

I am really not going to get into a philosophical debate about religion's role in morality.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Ok, so you are not arguing for the eradication of religion then?

Edit:

I am really not going to get into a philosophical debate about religion's role in morality.
Not at all. To each their own. Despite my own personal beliefs in a religion or lack thereof, it isnt anyone's place to argue for the eradication of someone else's personal beliefs.

I'm merely arguing for a better understanding of the failures of religion. Religion has a place, if only people can treat the stories as they were meant to be treated...allegorical.

I dont think religions role in morality is a philosophical debate at all. Facts speak volumes in that regard.

3Gee

Expert Member
Someone care to explain what religion has to do with the execution of individuals charged with " treason" against the state.

JimmyRott

Expert Member

No. That is not what I said. Your bias is just not letting you see what I am trying to say. AT SOME STAGE IN HUMAN HISTORY religion was very important in the development of moral systems. This may have been very benign religion in the sense that just the idea that there was an entity responsible for lightning, meant that if we didn't live in a way that pleases this entity he may send lightning to smite us. Whether this was correct (it clearly wasn't) is besides the point. Just the fact that some people believed it gave rise to different behaviors which indirectly led to moral systems.

I don't believe that religion necessarily makes you more moral. And I agree that in this day and age it generally does more harm than good. Doesn't change the fact that it was a massive part of our development as a species for a long time.

JimmyRott

Expert Member

View attachment 650116

The problem isn't just violence though. The problem is indoctrination that leads to conflict (even just on an ideological level) between people of different religions. This leads to multitudes of other issues that we really don't need to have at this stage when we are so desperately in need to work together as humans for the betterment of all.

MEIOT

Expert Member
No. That is not what I said. Your bias is just not letting you see what I am trying to say. AT SOME STAGE IN HUMAN HISTORY religion was very important in the development of moral systems. This may have been very benign religion in the sense that just the idea that there was an entity responsible for lightning, meant that if we didn't live in a way that pleases this entity he may send lightning to smite us. Whether this was correct (it clearly wasn't) is besides the point. Just the fact that some people believed it gave rise to different behaviors which indirectly led to moral systems.

I don't believe that religion necessarily makes you more moral. And I agree that in this day and age it generally does more harm than good. Doesn't change the fact that it was a massive part of our development as a species for a long time.
I get your point. And I agree. At some stage in the history of our species the belief in the supernatural was perhaps indeed a necessity.

I have no bias though. I'm a firm believer of the old saying...each to their own.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Someone care to explain what religion has to do with the execution of individuals charged with " treason" against the state.
You even used the word treason in inverted commas :D
Guess that sort of answers it. Treason in the eyes of a regime that follows no due process and a tyrannical regime to boot.

JimmyRott

Expert Member
I get your point. And I agree. At some stage in the history of our species the belief in the supernatural was perhaps indeed a necessity.

I have no bias though. I'm a firm believer of the old saying...each to their own.
Now you get it. Previously you completely missed it due to bias. Go read the posts again and you will see what I mean.