Saudi Arabia executes 37 people in a single day, including three juveniles

Nick333

Honorary Master
Did they do it in the name of atheism ?
Well no (although they did it in the name of an atheistic ideology) but that's not what you asked. My point is it's ideology taken to extremes that's the problem, and not just religious ideology. South Park did that episode years ago. People will adopt and cling to untenable ideas, and do atrocious things because of those ideas whether those ideas have a supernatural basis or not. Religion is a symptom of human nature, and you won't irradiate the underlying problem by attacking the symptom.

daveza

Honorary Master
Well no (although they did it in the name of an atheistic ideology) but that's not what you asked. My point is it's ideology taken to extremes that's the problem, and not just religious ideology. South Park did that episode years ago. People will adopt and cling to untenable ideas, and do atrocious things because of those ideas whether those ideas have a supernatural basis or not. Religion is a symptom of human nature, and you won't irradiate the underlying problem by attacking the symptom.
But you would agree that the examples I used are atrocities carried out ' in the name of religion ', as in their religious teachings made this acceptable/justifiable to them.

Even Hitler made statements claiming divine support -

Only when the entire German people become a single community of sacrifice can we expect and hope that Almighty God will help us.

D tj

Don't the cops in the US of A sometimes manage similar, only they call it "ran in front of moving projectiles"

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
37 ... almost as many as the Christchurch massacre then

Is Ardern en route to Saudi Arabia to lead a memorial service in her headscarf again?

diesel

Expert Member
Amazing how they all confess to more serious crimes after being tortured , arrested for anti state activism on social media, gets tortured and confesses to being a terrorist.

F$%ck the arabs , bunch of savages

Hamster

Resident Rodent
This is one of the reasons religion should be abolished. :mad:
A stupid argument. Even if it was true that all religious people held extremist views, if you banned it humans will just find another reason to kill each other: race, money, water, crimes of your father.... something.

The Free Radical

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Not our problem.

If we called for a referendum on the death penalty here, we'd be killing hundreds a day and be celebrating.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
The problem is that their most holy site is in Saudi Arabia. Perhaps if more Muslims boycotted the Hajj it might send a message...
Correct, so in the interim the Saudis can do whatever the hell they please, including supporting Israel and the US.

Since Allah is everywhere muslims should have no issues moving his house to a more humane location.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
You reckon Japan would have given up its isolationist policy, built ocean going ships, and enlightenes thw world if not for European colonisation?
European colonisation was a result of obtaining resources, labour and knowledge of the outside world, Christianity was a by product of this endeavour, since the churches funded it.

Even in Islam, there were very few converts initially until Muhammed started raiding caravans and capturing slaves on the pretence of doing what God "commanded"

ForceFate

Honorary Master
A stupid argument. Even if it was true that all religious people held extremist views, if you banned it humans will just find another reason to kill each other: race, money, water, crimes of your father.... something.
Stupid as it is to you, history is on my side.

surface

Expert Member
I would like to think that he spoke with extreme disgust at this incident as I am sure most of us are all disgusted by this.

Just imagine. If all the religions formally get rid of explicitly extreme violent verses (of killing each other for being jews/infidels/gay/anything) from their "holy" book, that would be a good start as well.