Savanna non-alcoholic cider

cn@

Expert Member

I know some of you will have an issue that I start a whole thread just to ask a trivial question ... but I'm still going to do it.

Why is this Savanna non-alcoholic cider not for under 18s?

It makes no sense.

RedViking

Nord of the South

I know some of you will have an issue that I start a whole thread just to ask a trivial question ... but I'm still going to do it.

It makes no sense.
Maybe because there is no such thing as completely alcohol free beer or cider. It will have 0.1% alcohol in.?

Or it is required by the advertising authorities that any beer./cider/wine advertised needs to have the banner?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I don't think the target market is under 18? I think the target market is people who want to not drink but not feel out.

Also I think they are still advertising an alcoholic brand, this the need for it?

Ecko_1

I don't think the target market is under 18? I think the target market is people who want to not drink but not feel out.
It could contain trace alcohol. Alcohol will be burnt out post during the latter stages of production.

What bothers me more is that this costs more than normal savanna. Beers and ciders have a huge excise cost component. For example for every R100 production cost on the bill of materials of a well known local beer about R46 will be for excise duty. Now the non alcoholic versions dont attract excise duty. But instead of passing that saving onto the consumer they are exploiting us. The additional process costs for removing the alcohol exist but is miniscual compared to the excise costs

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
It could contain trace alcohol. Alcohol will be burnt out post during the latter stages of production.

What bothers me more is that this costs more than normal savanna. Beers and ciders have a huge excise cost component. For example for every R100 production cost on the bill of materials of a well known local beer about R46 will be for excise duty. Now the non alcoholic versions dont attract excise duty. But instead of passing that saving onto the consumer they are exploiting us. The additional process costs for removing the alcohol exist but is miniscual compared to the excise costs
Yeah, I think it is silly anyway, drink apple juice if you don't want to drink.

Ecko_1

Yeah, I think it is silly anyway, drink apple juice if you don't want to drink.
I attended a braai last night and there was a case of these there. I had 1 beer on arrival and then drank the savanna non alcoholic as I was driving. Too be honest the flavour is quite good. Just missing the bitter after taste from the alcohol. I guess it's for people who feel left out for not drinking. Now they can fool unsuspecting party goers that they are also indulging

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
I attended a braai last night and there was a case of these there. I had 1 beer on arrival and then drank the savanna non alcoholic as I was driving. Too be honest the flavour is quite good. Just missing the bitter after taste from the alcohol. I guess it's for people who feel left out for not drinking. Now they can fool unsuspecting party goers that they are also indulging
This might actually be a winner then. You'll be suprised, but people actually do want good tasting non-alcoholic beers.

Vegeta

Executive Member
This isn't a beer but i guess it still applies. I like the taste of a cold beer on a hot day. I dont much care for the alcohol have no want or need for it plus it adds the problem of not being able to drive home.

I think most people would be happy with having a great tasting non alcoholic beer instead of water, coke or juice at a social.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This might actually be a winner then. You'll be suprised, but people actually do want good tasting non-alcoholic beers.
Beer you must look at Castle, Becks or Clausthaler. Castle is the 'best'. I can't stand anything apple. So no cider for me.

Of course you can't compare it to alcoholic drinks.

Bavaria taste nothing like beer at all.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This isn't a beer but i guess it still applies. I like the taste of a cold beer on a hot day. I dont much care for the alcohol have no want or need for it plus it adds the problem of not being able to drive home.

I think most people would be happy with having a great tasting non alcoholic beer instead of water, coke or juice at a social.
Specially with the rubbish sugar free, less sugar Coke on the market. You never know what you gonna get.

Vegeta

Executive Member
Specially with the rubbish sugar free, less sugar Coke on the market. You never know what you gonna get.
Ja jislaaik we've stopped buying. We have water or tea these days. Juice mixed with water for the kids.

But it gets boring and you feel like having something different from time to time

The soft drinks taste crap now. Wish Pura soda could go bigger with litres etc. Dont mind buying them but they are hard to come by.

saor

Honorary Master
I think the target market is people who want to not drink but not feel out.
And people who feel like a drink without the alcohol. A beer tastes nice, I enjoy a beer at lunch sometimes or after work without the alcohol. I prefer alcohol when I'm in the mood for that particular drug, which isn't usually during lunch.

Temujin

Executive Member

It makes no sense.
Cos all sorts of people are anal about everything... they'll bitch about it being a 'gateway' to alcoholism or some such thing... ie. like with the beers, they're covering their backsides;)

edit: just to expand a little... little innocent 14yo johnny and mates knowingly get sloshed, take moms car, write it off and kill people, claim 'but we thought was non alcohol', they get sued for hundreds of millions of some such rubbish under some 'packaging not marked clear enough' oh and johnny and friends are all dyslexic and cant read so its their fault for making advert saying its non alcoholic and packaging looks 'close enough' etc etc etc

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
It's to do with brand association. Simple as that. Savanna is an alcoholic brand. This new product is non-alcoholic yes but the association is still with alcoholic brand.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ja jislaaik we've stopped buying. We have water or tea these days. Juice mixed with water for the kids.

But it gets boring and you feel like having something different from time to time

The soft drinks taste crap now. Wish Pura soda could go bigger with litres etc. Dont mind buying them but they are hard to come by.
Pepsi is still the same, and they are cheaper then Coke.