Say you had a R180 000 budget for a car.

cn@

Expert Member
I need to buy a car and the most I want to spend is R180 000. I have a hefty deposit to place. I almost made the mistake of buying an old Ford Ecosport with 3 cylinders and too many kms on the clock.

At the moment I'm a but stumped because I'm not sure what I want or with which type of car I would be satisfied with.

I'm looking for inspiration and some good advice. If you had a budget of R180 000 what would you buy?

If you could link the car on Autotrader or some other South African online source, it would be even better.

EDIT: Just a couple of facts about me if you are going to align your choice to also suit me .... It's only going to be a one person car and and I want a little bit of tech like an infotainment system.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I would only be looking at Bmw 320D F30.

Unless you like spending money on feul you can also look at lexus GS 250/350 or newer IS 250/350, rocket solid cars but they sip at 12L/100km where 320D can do 6L/100km

saor

Honorary Master
EDIT: Just a couple of facts about me if you are going to align your choice to also suit me .... It's only going to be a one person car and and I want a little bit of tech like an infotainment system.
You say one person car but you were about to buy an Ecosport which is like a family car? What is it then - do you want something small or something big?

cn@

Expert Member
You say one person car but you were about to buy an Ecosport which is like a family car? What is it then - do you want something small or something big?
I wanted it for the height and the easy entry and exit.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
I need to buy a car and the most I want to spend is R180 000. I have a hefty deposit to place. I almost made the mistake of buying an old Ford Ecosport with 3 cylinders and too many kms on the clock.

At the moment I'm a but stumped because I'm not sure what I want or with which type of car I would be satisfied with.

I'm looking for inspiration and some good advice. If you had a budget of R180 000 what would you buy?

If you could link the car on Autotrader or some other South African online source, it would be even better.

Peugeot 208 GTI? It’s a fun little thing:
2014 Peugeot 208 1.6 GTI 3-Door

Splinter

Honorary Master

This is hard to go by. You are basically saying you don't know what car you want, or, more importantly, need in terms of your lifestyle.

Just want to spend R180k on a car.

I could suggest a super powerful motorbike for this budget.

Supercarfan

This is hard to go by. You are basically saying you don't know what car you want, or, more importantly, need in terms of your lifestyle.

Just want to spend R180k on a car.
Exactly. Hence why he’s asking what everyone else would buy to get some inspiration...

handyman007

Ecosport is tiny cars, almost like a raised Fiesta.

TStringList

Opel corsa?
Good infotainment, excellent fuel consumption, low insurance.

It has a 3 cylinder turbo motor like the Fiesta, but that should deter you unless you really need to speak about that fourth cylinder.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
CX-5. For no other reason but because I love mine

But it is nice if you're looking for something taller than a sedan but don't need a full on utility vehicle. It's great on long trips and cheap to maintain (just watch out for the wheel size, tyres for those bigger wheels can get pricey).