Sayings and there meanings

Nod

Executive Member
There is a saying:
You are what you eat.

and also:
Healthy body, healthy mind.

Could these two sayings, explain the sickness in society? We eat junk food, thus poisoning out minds?

Is there any truth in these kind of sayings?

Tux

Software Communist
That would make me portuguese/italian even though i was born on a freestate farm :D

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Heh

Gru - actually that would make you a pizza or pasta - I don't want to be the one to call you that now! :D

jabulani

Expert Member
Being a Pastafarian, I can vouch for the veracity of "You are what you eat.". But that does not explain any sickness in society, rather it is the way we enter into communion with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Sickness in society is largely caused by religious nutters of other faiths - Christians, Materialists, Pinko Commies etc.

Nod

Executive Member
So much for serious debate in this place.

Debbie

Banned
Nod I think it's a great topic. Sometimes you hear a simple adage and you think "oh that's interesting and true", but the full weight of the truth of it hasn't yet 'come home' so to speak, and when you do start to understand it more fully it's a total mindfxxxx!

noxibox

Honorary Master
There is a saying:
You are what you eat.

and also:

Could these two sayings, explain the sickness in society? We eat junk food, thus poisoning out minds?

If you exercise regularly it improves the blood flow to your brain and your general sense of well-being. Seems to generally improve the chemical balance in the body. It goes the other way too though - if you keep your mind healthy and active you are more likely to have a healthy body.

You are what you eat only applies to a totally unbalanced diet. The only real problem with so-called junk food is the lack of fruits and vegetables. But living only on fruit isn't necessarily good for you either. The problem is lack of variety not any particular foods being bad.

Yes there is a sort of truth, but it is not as straightforward as the sayings would imply.

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Yeah.. funny how some people behave like what comes out their butts though... wonder if that's relevant to the subject...

Seriously tho, definately bad diet can lead to bad attitude to some extent.

BCO

Honorary Master
Well, you are, quite literally, what you eat. The body takes in food, breaks it down and then uses molecules from the food to generate cells. So basically you're made up of reconstituted food.

Society has always been ****ed up, since long before junk food. Slavery, warfare, persecution, genocide, intolerance, rape, murder etc. have always been around. I don't think it's in any way accurate to say that society is any worse off now than it's ever been.

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
I hear eating lead based paint or mercury can really mess you up tho'
Not sure it will turn you into a metal head but I'm sure there may be similarities...

Tux

Software Communist
I'd rather say it depends on your lifestyle as well.
I have a very active job (most of the time) If I dont take in a lot of high carb food I start looking like an asylum seeker from ethiopia.

Mr TB

Banned
There is a saying:
You are what you eat.

and also:

Closer to the truth maybe will be "What you say is what you get..."

Natas

Expert Member
Dont call a pygmy short until you have walked a mile in his mocksins...

also in afrikaans:

Wat weet a mol van kaas?

Nod

Executive Member
The point I tried to make was that we don't really know what stuff is in junk food. Previously, they used a lot of MSG's, MacD was in court because vegetarians found out there was protein exstract (or something like that) in the potato chips. What are the long term effect of preservatives? Do we even know what we eat, at acceptable levels, which might cause some other problems later on?

Mr TB

Banned
The point I tried to make was that we don't really know what stuff is in junk food. Previously, they used a lot of MSG's, MacD was in court because vegetarians found out there was protein exstract (or something like that) in the potato chips. What are the long term effect of preservatives? Do we even know what we eat, at acceptable levels, which might cause some other problems later on?
We i was younger my body easily couped with junk food. Nowadays however it tells me "hey bud where's the steamer!, i had enough of the sh..", sorry for being so rude...

On the other hand we don't learn from overseas, the things nowadays called dangerous overseas we are indulging in...