SCAM: Doctor Mobile LLC – Droid6000

rph72

Executive Member
Content Services R69.25 + Vat R9.70 Total R78.95

Noticed the above entry on my Vodacom Statement and called them to enquire what it was all about. They say I subscribed to a service called Droid6000 which of course I denied as I know about these type of scams. Vodacom unsubscribed me from the service and I received an SMS confirming it.
On further investigating, I found the following in my browsing history dated 14 November 2015:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Note the time is 22:56. Checked my SMS’s and found I received the SMS at 22:57.

3.jpg

At the time I only read the SMS and ignored it as we were celebrating our daughters 21st at the Waterfront. I did not click on any links. What I find strange is that Droid6000 registered on my browsing history 1 minute before I received the SMS.

I also have no idea where the Nedbank Personal Loan Lead form comes from. I have no dealings with Nedbank except for the fact that the venue is a Nedbank Merchant and I settled my account at 22:58 according to my receipt with my credit card. Coincidence??

I cannot find another SMS on my phone confirming double opt in or being successful in registering for the service. There is only one complaint on Hellopeter from a Vodacom client so far. http://hellopeter.com/search-reports?keyword=droid6000

I’ve requested Vodacom to refund the money deducted from my account. Not sure if that will ever happen. I was so angry on the phone yesterday I actually feel sorry for the Vodacom Agent on the other side.

Can Vodacom not block any WASP’s from accessing your number if the client requests it? How much does Vodacom make from these rogue WASP’s? Maybe enough to not do anything about it.

jmak

Maybe a bit late, but ran into similar issue. I am however pretty sure it was due to 1 of 2 apps I installed the morning, so roughly a 6 hour delay between installatiin and activation of this service. It also started giving new browser windows every few browser clicks. Uninstalling both apps and rebooting seem to have resolved it. But now to get the system banned....

TwistedAngel

I just opened one of those facebook links of "likes"...
and immediately this Droid6000 started to scan and I couldn't click away.
I just closed the window.
I hope it did the trick, to close the window before it finishes "scanning" or what I would call "phishing".

Then I read this article:
Your name and surname, ID number, and banking details can be bought for as little as R5, giving criminals all they need to target your bank account.
source: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/secur...king-details-are-sold-to-scammers-for-r5.html

Installing anti-phishing app into my phone right now... just a catch, I suspect many apps that appear to be anti-malware are useless spyware itself.

jmak

After further pop-ups with similar flavors but different domains it seemed to me that it had something to-do with ads on pages. Wheels24 daily email links routed via elist24 gave it on specific pages 1 in 3 times, and happened daily. On another PC I also experienced the same problem a few days later, also on Wheels24 on a specific article. But then when I got everything ready to get some evidence together to drop them a email with some evidence it stopped again.

So where I previously thought it was a app I am now 99% sure it is to do with ads, and potentially your Google ad-profile. As quickly as it came it went away.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
I just opened one of those facebook links of "likes"...
and immediately this Droid6000 started to scan and I couldn't click away.
I just closed the window.
I hope it did the trick, to close the window before it finishes "scanning" or what I would call "phishing".

Then I read this article:

source: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/secur...king-details-are-sold-to-scammers-for-r5.html

Installing anti-phishing app into my phone right now... just a catch, I suspect many apps that appear to be anti-malware are useless spyware itself.

^suggestions?^

TwistedAngel

@skeptic-SA

I cleared all my browser history and the cookies.

And it looks like nothing strange showed up on my bankstatement....

Ivanr

Expert Member
There is an old proverb - Cowboys must not cry - especially when using an Android OS device. These type of incidences occur with ease when using your fancy Android OS device.:D