Scary SSH backdoor malware in Linux supply chain: How to find and fix it!

You’re far too emotional about this.

And anyone divorcing the kernel and user space in order to paint this as “not a Linux problem” is an even bigger schmuck.
A Linux system (or distro) as you just pointed out, is not made up of a kernel alone. And as for defending Linus’ honour, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t care as much as you. Not sure why you brought him into this.

Is Debian a Linux Distro? Yes. Is this a Debian issue? For sure. Is it a Linux issue? For sure.

Now please don’t put on your captain obvious cap and tell us all that this is not just a Debian issue.

You need to understand what people are saying, it’s not enough to just read.
It was made a Linux issue for sensationalism and nothing else. It was in Debian testing and a totally misrepresentation to imply a Debian LTS problem never mind a Linux problem.
Words matter and implying a blanket categorization is wrong.

It was made a Linux issue for sensationalism and nothing else. It was in Debian testing and a totally misrepresentation to imply a Debian LTS problem never mind a Linux problem.
It IS a Linux issue, it IS an open source issue.

It's an open source issue that affects linux to a greater or lesser extent dependant on the distribution, how about that?

It's an open source issue that affects linux to a greater or lesser extent dependant on the distribution, how about that?
Sure, that works too. But honestly, the point of that argument is beyond me. Being touchy about someone pointing out flaws in an OS you didn't build with your bare hands during the last famine or war? Pointless.

Sure, that works too. But honestly, the point of that argument is beyond me. Being touchy about someone pointing out flaws in an OS you didn't build with your bare hands during the last famine or war? Pointless.
He will lose clients and then not be able to afford them Lambo tyres, that's why he's getting all emotional.

It IS a Linux issue, it IS an open source issue.

He will lose clients and then not be able to afford them Lambo tyres, that's why he's getting all emotional.
As someone who actively supports 100s of Centos systems, its relevant to the fact that I got a few phone calls from worried clients that they were hacked, and while we do have a few systems on Debian and a few on Ubuntu. none of those are on testing. So yes I personally feel it when people around the water cooler (aka reddit, tiktok, youtube and discord) talk about how Linux was hacked and the world is ending without enough technical knowledge to know who or what is at risk.

As someone who actively supports 100s of Centos systems, its relevant to the fact that I got a few phone calls from worried clients that they were hacked, and while we do have a few systems on Debian and a few on Ubuntu. none of those are on testing. So yes I personally feel it when people around the water cooler (aka reddit, tiktok, youtube and discord) talk about how Linux was hacked and the world is ending without enough technical knowledge to know who or what is at risk.
That's always going to be the case. You can't make allowances for people getting it wrong, you'd never get the word out about the issue. This was not a Mac issue, nor a Windows issue. It was a linux issue that affected a few Linux distros that incorporated that piece of software. Nothing new.

It would be a Windows issue if an open source component distributed with the OS was affected, despite it not being Microsoft's code. The fact that there are many Linux distros has nothing to do with it really.

Linux users seem to be an insecure bunch of people... windows users are battle-hardened it would seem. :rolleyes:

People generally don't understand that Debian testing branch means the same thing as Windows Insider build.... that very few people actually rely on packages from it for day to day use.

People generally don't understand that Debian testing branch means the same thing as Windows Insider build.... that very few people actually rely on packages from it for day to day use.
And as someone who supports Windows machines, I get incredibly irritated when the headline is "Massive Windows Hack!!!" only to realise its related to Winzip installed on Windows 11 only. Same point.

And as someone who supports Windows machines, I get incredibly irritated when the headline is "Massive Windows Hack!!!" only to realise its related to Winzip installed on Windows 11 only. Same point.
I really cannot say how much I hate Winzip.... I remember using PowerArchiver before 7-zip arrived.

Not quite the same as winzip is not distributed with Windows.
Ironically, libarchive is....

So now you Linux fanbois can relax as this is not JUST a Linux issue LMAO.

Not quite the same as winzip is not distributed with Windows.
Ironically, libarchive is....

So now you Linux fanbois can relax as this is not JUST a Linux issue LMAO.
Anyone who uses a RAR deserves to be taken to the cleaners.

There's starting to be some security issues with Flatpak too.... the once savior of the Linux race which predictably gets neglected for the sake of automated convenience with no oversight. The only-Linux fanatics are simply too damn arrogant to understand there is no such thing as a super-OS.... but of course they always find a way to blame the user.

Back