• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

School built with R28m Lotto grant falls to pieces

Sweevo

Honorary Master
It is a single one put on the inside to support the wall above, will see if I can get a pic, you can see it from the inside if a concrete one is used.
I get it, I would have thought though, that it would have to be something made of steel to fit on a single course and be hidden though.
But then maybe those bricks going across are hollowed out and more like shaped tiles...

Last edited:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Please - my father-in-law was once hired to renovate the bathrooms of a school in Vereeniging. Total cost was R270 000. But a local newspaper ran a article where the headmaster boasted that the work had cost R715 000, R35 000 less than they had been given by the department of education.

Sollie

Expert Member
I get it, I would have thought though, that it would have to be something made of steel to fit on a single course and be hidden though.
But then maybe those bricks going across are hollowed out and more like shaped tiles...
Hollowing it out would be too much work and require power tools.
A concrete lintol normally contains pre-stressed steel wire to compress the concrete which makes it stronger and allows it to not sag. Normal steel does not have the same pre-stressed qualities and would require a heavier more expensive steel beam, the dimensions depending on orientation.

And just on an aside - building those requires the bricks and lintol be built wet with a good cement mixture and not allowing it to dry too quickly. Wet building is true for any good brick work in a hot area. But it's messy and more work to clean up on face or semi-face brick. So people try their luck ...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Any news on this story? I am interested how it is going to end. No consequences?
NLC will probably conduct an audit/investigation of their own before proceeding with criminal charges/civil claims. No official statement from them so far.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Have the builder struck from the builders association roll. Have an internal investigation to see what happened.
That hardly happens. There is a number of builders with deplorable reputations who are still allowed to ply their trade openly.