School closure and paying of school-fees. What's your view?

Should schools close, do you think parents should be compelled to continue paying school-fees?

• Yes

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 55.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 14.6%

• Total voters

Lupus

Honorary Master
Unions are pushing for no schooling whatsoever. No public, private or online schooling.

Their reason: equality...
If there is no schooling, then no pay to the teachers in the unions simple as that. Perhaps they can realise that other civil servants are working, they can as well and the schools aren't any different a vector for the spread of this disease than say going to a church, funeral, restaurant, cinema or sitting in a taxi.
If my sons school continues their online schooling, they will be compensated.

LOTR

I am undecided on this one. Insofar as my son's schooling goes, on-line lessons were provided daily during the closures, so payment of fees is essential to have kept this going. As I pay annually in advance for the fees, I also don't feel the pressure of a monthly payment, so it therefore has a minimal effect on me financially. However, should they close the schools and cull the year without further education, then I believe I should be entitled to a refund as my son would not have received all what I had paid for.

I also understand that people need salaries to live, so one cannot just stop paying them if they decide to close the schools with no further learning being provided. Not all teachers want this either. I do feel sorry for the teachers though who are putting themselves at risk each and everyday for the benefit of our kids.

It's one of those "tough one's" that we are faced with, and I don't believe that we'll find the ultimate solution to this dilemma.

Craig

Honorary Master
Unions are pushing for no schooling whatsoever. No public, private or online schooling.

That's just pure BS, so because they couldn't be bothered to put the infrastructure in place for poor schools now everyone must be disadvantaged. And I still think we should keep paying as there might be no school next year if the schools can't afford to go on, so if you can pay please do. There's already not nearly enough schools as it is, having some schools close down will be catastrophic.
That's fuccckedup. Deny them schooling because of what ?
Because those in charge are thieving morons who can't think further than the tip of their noses.

binkybozo

I voted undecided for two reasons. We paid our son's school fees because his teacher had online classes M-F and still does to those who can't come to school.

If the government says no online or remote classes, then I am sorry. I love my son's school but I am not going to spend money if they say he must repeat this year. We will home school him then.

The government really needs to keep out of the private schools it is none of their business. We are not sending our son to a private school because we want to keep him away from "certain kinds of kids" as the government thinks that is the reason why we private parents send our kids to a private school. Our son has horrible ADHD and he would not make it in a public school so that is why he is going private. Also, we are not rich his school fees break us every month but we deal with it, we have to.

The other reason why I voted undecided is that again if they cut online/remote classes and can the year then chances are my wife will not get a salary so bugger it, let the public schools go down. The Government can deal with no one paying.

If Government allows my wife and the other teachers at her school to continue with online courses, then yes parents at those schools should pay their school fees because the teachers are working. Teachers at schools that have not been doing online classes (which burns my butt) since April, then I don't blame the parents for not wanting to pay school fees.

WorldWarII

Expert Member
we are actually approaching the time where we have to "illegally" school our kids. I already have a gym in my garage for the 'hardcores' from our gym that closed. Is this country so pathetic that we have to hide our children behind closed doors to educate them?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Not being a parent I obviously have current horse in this race, but if the Unions get there way and all schooling (public/private/online) is halted, then nope no more school fees.

I am not against the closing of schools for on-premise education if there are good medical reasons for it, but just as a knee jerk general school closure nope. And this "equality" crap needs to be dealt with properly which is unfortunately impossible with the DBE being as monumentally incompetent as they actually are.

Craig

Honorary Master
we are actually approaching the time where we have to "illegally" school our kids. I already have a gym in my garage for the 'hardcores' from our gym that closed. Is this country so pathetic that we have to hide our children behind closed doors to educate them?
If you told me this a year ago I would've laughed in your face. :(

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not being a parent I obviously have current horse in this race, but if the Unions get there way and all schooling (public/private/online) is halted, then nope no more school fees.

I am not against the closing of schools for on-premise education if there are good medical reasons for it, but just as a knee jerk general school closure nope. And this "equality" crap needs to be dealt with properly which is unfortunately impossible with the DBE being as monumentally incompetent as they actually are.
Equality is a lie, what needs to happen is equity, the necessary means are supplied to those that need it to uplift them, the problem with equality is that everyone gets dropped to a low level. Instead of using resources to uplift those that are needed.

BBSA

Honorary Master
In my view 'n compromise would be the best; teachers receive 50% of their salaries, and parents pay half their fees.

bwana

MyBroadband
At the end of the day it's the government's decision, not the unions. If the gov closes the schools they need to cover all the costs involved in doing so. Public or private, makes no difference.

TBH I'm surprised industries and unions etc aren't lining up to sue the government for loss of income.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

They cannot stop online schooling. Our school isn't unionised and the teachers actually care, so I know that they will continue as during the initial lockdown.

Fuk the unions and the DOB...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Equality is a lie, what needs to happen is equity, the necessary means are supplied to those that need it to uplift them, the problem with equality is that everyone gets dropped to a low level. Instead of using resources to uplift those that are needed.
100% agree on this.. its not about equality, but equity. The government must be tasked with providing the same base level across the board, and if you have the means to get better quality, then by all means go for it.

Lupus

Honorary Master
100% agree on this.. its not about equality, but equity. The government must be tasked with providing the same base level across the board, and if you have the means to get better quality, then by all means go for it.
This is it, but the government sees any bettering of yourself as a bad thing, everyone must be poor.

Sepeng

Expert Member
We're in a fortunate position of being able to pay, so we'd probably pay. There's a very real possibility the school wouldn't exist next year if everyone stopped (it's a small creche/ pre-school type place).
The other one in a private school... don't know. Most likely.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I voted no.

Up until June I was onboard with paying school fee's, but when I contacted the school in June to deregister my kid out for the remainder of the year (with the intention to re-register in Dec) they hit us with a 4 month notice period.

So the schools dont give a damn, they expect you to pay whether they provide a service or not and when you want to remove your kid they're inflexible with their contracts. And watch what happens in December, they're going to hit you with an increase in fee's despite of all us keeping them operational with **** all benefit during COVID

My kid is in creche but they call themselves a school and hit us with the same stupid policies & contracts so I guess I can partake in the thread :)
Did you or did you not sign and agree to said contract when you started at the school?

nivek

Executive Member
Did you or did you not sign and agree to said contract when you started at the school?
Yes but if they're going to hold us to their contract then they shouldn't expect ANY fee's for months when they can't provide a service

And this is exactly my point, as far as the schools are concerned its all TAKE, TAKE, TAKE.
So no need to feel bad for them, because they don't give a damn about you.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes but if they're going to hold us to their contract then they shouldn't expect ANY fee's for months when they can't provide a service
They didn’t choose to not provide the service though, they were forced not to.

And in most every case I’ve seen they’ve all endeavoured to a best effort of at least providing something.

R13...

Honorary Master

If they are calling off the year then no one can be expected to continue with payments. Just seems sensible to me, I'd not pay.

Also the DBE must grow balls and institute no work no pay for the remainder of the academic year. But we know they won't which is why the unions are comfortable calling off the year.