School Project- internet culture and infrastructure in Johannesburg

glover123

Hi guys im doing a project for school on the topic above and I was wondering if anyone had any information or opinions.
(if possible please focus on Johannesburg)

Topics such as:
Why is our infrastructure so poor
Why do you think internet is so expensive here so in turn so little of our population has access
When do you believe we will fix the last mile and move away from copper (Telkom)
What kind of things do you think make up our online culture in Johannesburg and South Africa
Any other general information or opinions

Thanks soooooo much for your time!

maumau

Honorary Master
Hi glover, i don't want to put you off or anything but hope you're over 18 - forum rules.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Hi guys im doing a project for school on the topic above and I was wondering if anyone had any information or opinions.
(if possible please focus on Johannesburg)

Topics such as:
Why do you think internet is so expensive here so in turn so little of our population has access
When do you believe we will fix the last mile and move away from copper (Telkom)
What kind of things do you think make up our online culture in Johannesburg and South Africa

Thanks soooooo much for your time!
This entire site is filled with opinions on the above.

FFF4Skin

Simple direction for you Glover. As you may have noted, many people here think you are lazy just as they are lazy to even give you a simple direction.

Seek out articles on MyBB with regards to Telkom, as well as pricing changes and ADSL. many of the answers you seek will be in the interviews of all the ISP Directors in the article. Read, summarize & articulate your comprehension of those articles and you have yourself a winner.

Here is a set way to approach the matter:

The answer to the above you will find in: Re "interviews of all the ISP Directors"

The answer to this will be found in the surveys run by MyBB. Look for things such as highest data usage breakdowns. These breakdowns will generally give you the culture or purpose of use in a set demographic given your desired area/location.

I think I have most of these newsletters in my inbox, if you really cant find them, PM me--I'll be back after Wednesday.

PS: I am sure everyone is trying to help in their own way. So keep asking. You're bound to find someone willing to give you the time.

glover123

Thank you so much for the pointers, and for your time.

It is really appreciated!

maumau

Honorary Master
I'm happy to hear you're 18 Glover. You showed great initiative in posting here, but need to do some research of your own.

Pointers above will go a long way to help.

FFF4Skin

On a more current note, you should also include a little footnote for visual illustration of your topics, to lighten the mood of your reading audiences. For example:

Why is our infrastructure so poor.
Because this is the ANC & Telkom's POV:
jzg7NBw.gif

Why do you think internet is so expensive here so in turn so little of our population has access.
This question will require to many political POV's, most IT folk will just avoid this or give you a general response, trust me, I am from the internet,
Avoid:
E5seFSj.gif

General Response:
tumblr_inline_n5smicsRNs1raprkq.gif

When do you believe we will fix the last mile and move away from copper (Telkom).
When we do go there and do this with the cable:
Ky4ufVa.gif

What kind of things do you think make up our online culture in Johannesburg and South Africa.
I will leave you with a simple image:
TheCurseOfTheWerewolf_021.jpg

FFF4Skin

Any other general information or opinions:
You want your audience to respond either with:
Happiness:
tumblr_inline_n5fqhpvsM51raprkq.gif

Awe:
I0WDu2u.gif

Shock:
OaR0Y38.gif

Ridicule:
6SRwoVA.gif

And when you get an A+... Remember:
3H402bc.gif

glover123

Thanks guys, btw the point of this thread was not to get easy answers but to get the public opinion that i could show in my presentation!