Schoolboy who needs 3% more for pass gets court order for re-mark

schumi

Honorary Master
Durban – Three percent is all that stands between a Durban North schoolboy doing his matric this year or repeating Grade 11.

And now his father has secured a High Court order compelling the education department to re-mark his Afrikaans paper.

In an urgent application that came before Durban High Court Judge Johan Ploos van Amstel on Monday, the boy's father said he had already had the paper independently assessed by a teacher from another school.

According to the father, that teacher had said if correct marking methods had been used, his son would have got between 5% and 8% more on the paper.

"This may not be the best mark, but it would have meant he could be promoted to Grade 12," he said.

The father said the reason for the urgency of the application was that he had only been told about the failure at the end of the school year.

Incorrect marks

"When I asked for a re-mark, I was told it was too late."

He said one of the issues raised by the "independent teacher" who had looked at the test was that it had been marked at a level indicating his son's mother tongue was Afrikaans, when it was not.

The mark reflected for term two also appeared to be incorrect.

He said he had done everything possible to address the issue with education authorities over the holidays but had no success until about two weeks ago when an official agreed to re-mark the paper.

But there was still no result, he said, and the first term of school was proceeding.

In terms of the order, which was taken by consent, the department has five days to re-mark the paper.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...or-pass-gets-court-order-for-re-mark-20180212

Batista

Executive Member
This is so dumb, fail afr and you get held back.I almost failed this language in grade 11, then I got a b in matric after hanging out with hoerskool meisies :D
Little did i know im going to end up working in a place with >90% afr speaking.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Can't be, article says 2nd language. He probably also failed something else but Afrikaans is the closest he is to a pass.
Then the boy stands a better chance at passing matric if he repeats the grade, but then maybe it will bring shame upon the household if he were to repeat the grade.

R13...

Honorary Master
Not necessarily. I had an A average at the end of matric but was worried about failing Afrikaans. My Afrikaans second language C is worth more to me than any of my As.
He may be right. You don't fail a grade because you failed a single 2nd language.

When I was in tertiary we got warned about demanding remarks. We were told that the pissed lecturer will remark you completely and no be lenient as they sometimes can be if it looks like you had the right idea. A remark could have them adopting you're either wrong or right scale.

werfie

Expert Member
I am with the dad on this one, while the kid doesn't have great marks to begin with, don't set the benchmark at say 40% and then be happy to fail someone who effectively has 40.1% and higher.

It's a matter of principle to me, don't make the rules and then break them yourself.

Venomous

Honorary Master
He may be right. You don't fail a grade because you failed a single 2nd language.

When I was in tertiary we got warned about demanding remarks. We were told that the pissed lecturer will remark you completely and no be lenient as they sometimes can be if it looks like you had the right idea. A remark could have them adopting you're either wrong or right scale.
Depends on the school and region.

Up until end grade 9 children have to pass both languages, maths and LO. Grade 10 on. Both languages and LO must be passed.

I just asked someone that did their matric in a govt school in greater jo'burg area.

Some private schools demand more difficult passing standards.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
He said one of the issues raised by the "independent teacher" who had looked at the test was that it had been marked at a level indicating his son's mother tongue was Afrikaans, when it was not.
:wtf:

Either the answer is correct, or it isn't. It shouldn't be marked differently depending on what your mother language is. It certainly wasn't the case when I was at school.

:wtf:

Either the answer is correct, or it isn't. It shouldn't be marked differently depending on what your mother language is. It certainly wasn't the case when I was at school.
In Afrikaans with comprehension tests the answers could be open to discussion.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
This is so dumb, fail afr and you get held back.I almost failed this language in grade 11, then I got a b in matric after hanging out with hoerskool meisies :D
Little did i know im going to end up working in a place with >90% afr speaking.
Baie Mooi man lol :D

Shaun108

Executive Member
He needs to repeat the grade or else he's in for a rude awakening at Matric. Then again it might bring shem on the family because their wonderboy could never fail could he?

cr@zydude

Executive Member