Schoolboy who needs 3% more for pass gets court order for re-mark

Shaun108

Executive Member
Nowadays matric exams are a joke anyways compared to 20 years ago. I had a look at the pure Maths and English Literature matric papers last year and it was easier than a drunk fat chick at a party. Standards have certainly dropped a lot since the old days.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Then the boy stands a better chance at passing matric if he repeats the grade, but then maybe it will bring shame upon the household if he were to repeat the grade.
More likely to do with finances - the family has to pay for that extra year in school

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
If you fail fairly, bummer, repeat the grade bro, it's not the end of the world but if it's a fail because a supposed teacher can't mark properly, by all means take it as far as you can

noxibox

Honorary Master
Based on the article it sounds like there are valid concerns around marking standards. It's a genuine issue with subjective areas of study.

Nowadays matric exams are a joke anyways compared to 20 years ago. I had a look at the pure Maths and English Literature matric papers last year and it was easier than a drunk fat chick at a party. Standards have certainly dropped a lot since the old days.
Matric exams 20 years ago were a joke compared to 30 years ago.

When I was in tertiary we got warned about demanding remarks. We were told that the pissed lecturer will remark you completely and no be lenient as they sometimes can be if it looks like you had the right idea. A remark could have them adopting you're either wrong or right scale.
Sounds like a very unprofessional institution.

Either the answer is correct, or it isn't. It shouldn't be marked differently depending on what your mother language is. It certainly wasn't the case when I was at school.
You must have gone to a strange school, because language exams are one place where various parts involve questions with subjective answers. Essays and literature being two for which there very obviously isn't one right answer. It should also be abundantly clear that a higher standard of writing would be expected for first vs second language.

More likely to do with finances - the family has to pay for that extra year in school
And how much has this court order cost them compared to an extra year? I'm assuming if the pops can spend money on this then the kid's in a private school.

Last edited:

Devviem

Expert Member
Why not just repeat the grade, no shame in that! Goodness its just school!!!

It is obvious the boy is not up to standard and struggled to pass grade 11.

Repeat the grade, work harder, and pass honourably!

You'll be far better off to repeat than to be put through.

See this as a early wake-up call for the rest of your life. You will have to work harder than the rest to get the same results, nothing wrong about that!

Arthur

Honorary Master
The father's desperate to have his son finish school and leave home. Having a son aged 23 in Grade 11 is just too much for any parent. :p

Last edited: