Schools will not be ready to open on 8 June, say Unions

Lupus

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
34,341
and magically there are no hotspots in rural areas... so not a problem in reality.
yup, yet because they don't have water or toilets (they never have), suddenly urban schools can't open?
 

CeeBee

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
2,259
Again and again, it's been the same for a month. Just get it done.
oh hell.. couldn't they tell the honorable minister that last week, so she doesn't go (again) and bullsht everybody?
what, is she gonna wait til Sunday nite again to tell people its off again, while they prepare in stress?
 

CeeBee

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
2,259
they must just let the schools who are ready continue, and not block everybody.
same old story...a few retards here and there, and everybody gets punished
the minister should just make it easy and say she is incompetent and cannot manage on countrywide scale, and let somebody else manage per region/school
will be incentive for those who arent (dont want to be?) ready
 

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
25,808
oh hell.. couldn't they tell the honorable minister that last week, so she doesn't go (again) and bullsht everybody?
what, is she gonna wait til Sunday nite again to tell people its off again, while they prepare in stress?
I dunno why anyone would prepare anyway. If my kids were going back, I'd be waiting until all the dust has settled and a system is in place. So probably only send them back when schools have been open for a week or so.
 

Lupus

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
34,341
they must just let the schools who are ready continue, and not block everybody.
same old story...a few retards here and there, and everybody gets punished
the minister should just make it easy and say she is incompetent and cannot manage on countrywide scale
It's actually not an easy thing to manage nationwide, but at level 3 things were supposed to go provincial, I see the government has forgotten that step.
 

Lupus

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
34,341
I dunno why anyone would prepare anyway. If my kids were going back, I'd be waiting until all the dust has settled and a system is in place. So probably only send them back when schools have been open for a week or so.
Says the home schooler :). But yeah that's what we're going to do with the middle child :).
 

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
25,808
they must just let the schools who are ready continue, and not block everybody.
same old story...a few retards here and there, and everybody gets punished
the minister should just make it easy and say she is incompetent and cannot manage to even wipe her own arse without help from a team of specialists on countrywide scale, and let somebody else manage per region/school resign and/or crawl into a codiv (her word) infested sewer and be done with it.
will be incentive for those who aren't (don't want to be?) ready

I punched up your copy a bit for effect:)
 

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
40,611
Eldest's school were open on June 1st. They got their "house" in order and prepared immediately. Took no chances. Got the necessary permission.

Any school that is not ready come 8 June should not be the reason for all others not opening. These minority schools are prejudicing the education of the majority (or, at least, I hope it is the minority).
 

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
42,037
Much talk about the union, but is it Maimane's campaign which has more credence than the unions at the moment. Maimane is representing the people and with around ~170 000 signatures to his petition he has validity in the court in concern with the public interest. His campaign, and movement, is also supported by the SAHRC.


Minister wants to save academic year above saving lives - Maimane tells Concourt
"Rome is burning and the state parties ought not to be allowed to fiddle unsupervised [and] while only accounting to themselves."

This is what former DA leader and founder of the One South Africa (OSA) movement Mmusi Maimane told the Constitutional Court this week in court papers, arguing against the reopening of schools.

In an urgent application to the apex court, Maimane's OSA is challenging the government's decision to reopen schools. He highlighted poor infrastructure, school overcrowding, staff shortages, sanitation and public transport as the motivation behind his application.

Maimane told the court that Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga did not give a plan as to how these schools would be capacitated to open. He also argued that the minister did not inform the country how other learners, who are schooling under trees, tents and dilapidated buildings, will be catered for.

"Overcrowding is a norm in schools located in townships and villages. The minister did not inform us how those schools will be made ready. As a result of poor infrastructure, the department will not be able to protect the equipment that will be delivered to schools for combating Covid-19.

"The logistical challenges of delivering masks, which must be changed daily, far exceed the efficient distribution of textbooks once a year, which the government has historically failed to achieve," he wrote in the 40-page affidavit.

Motshekga postponed the phased reopening of schools from June 1 to June 8 after consultation with stakeholders.

Unions, parents and student governing bodies have raised concerns over the readiness of schools to reopen.

Reports have also emerged that some schools have not received personal protective equipment.

Challenging the government's obligation to human life, Maimane lambasted the state for failing in its "constitutional" and "legal" duty to consult with organisations to ensure meaningful public participation.

He added that an unconsidered and rushed reopening of schools poses a risk to life, especially when it is scheduled to coincide with the general reopening of the economy - from Level 4 to Level 3.

"The minister’s statement is evidence that the reopening of schools is not primarily targeted at combating Covid-19 but at saving the academic year at any human cost or price. Our approach is that, much as the academic year must be saved, if possible, it is more important to save lives - even, if need be, at the expense of the academic year."

It is unclear when the state is expected to respond to Maimane's application.

They are also now pointing out that The Settlers High School's principal has COVID-19, however, they don't say that she was tested positive prior to June 1st and that she isolated once unwell. Fearmongering is what will terminate this academic year.
 

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
21,294
So lets hold everyone back and potentially ruin everyones future because not all schools are ready... Sounds like a solid approach to me.
Apart from Grade 11 and Matric all students can catch up by extending terms and reducing school holidays over the next couple years.
 

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
42,037
Apart from Grade 11 and Matric all students can catch up by extending terms and reducing school holidays over the next couple years.
What about social development and 1-phase education, do you propose that entire age groups are to be held back?
 

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
21,294
What about social development and 1-phase education, do you propose that entire age groups are to be held back?
No, when did I mention holding back students? Let's just say schools manage to complete 70% of the syllabus, assuming the pass the their exams, they'll cover the remaining 30% in the first term of the next grade. Conservative by cutting school holidays you can get an additional month of school days. Admittedly it would take a couple years for them to catch up to the syllabus
 

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
42,037
No, when did I mention holding back students? Let's just say schools manage to complete 70% of the syllabus, assuming the pass the their exams, they'll cover the remaining 30% in the first term of the next grade. Conservative by cutting school holidays you can get an additional month of school days. Admittedly it would take a couple years for them to catch up to the syllabus

My point is, we have an entire age group which is 'designated' to go to school next year. At this stage, it is clear that most schools aren't ready. It is only the Western Cape which is ready, and have resumed with schooling. It is startling to look more and more like the current year to be brought into suspension, and there is opposition against exceptions made. The Western Cape is already proactively targeted by the opposition to the school's reopening.

Social development is paused. In addition to this, we simply don't have the capacity to insert another age group into schools in 2021. We can extend terms, bridge the curriculums (which is on course to change) and the syllabus, but it will result in additional postponements. As you said, it will take years to catch up.

My whole issue is, and yes, it has upset me and I am wrongly criticising people like you, is that the opposition hasn't reviewed social development or the schooling phases in their campaign against reopening. Not a single alternative has been provided, and these are the same people who will criticise said continuity when it is demanded by them.
 

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
81,360
My kids' school was ready for the 1st but they postponed for a week. Regardless of any further announcements they expect the grade 7s and 12s to be back at their "desks" on Monday.
 

RedViking

Nord of the South
Joined
Feb 23, 2012
Messages
38,471
Let schools decide. Those who can't open stay in the past, the rest goes on with life.
 
Top