Scientists to list all species on the Web

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Sounds awesome. Hopefully it will be geared to the layman, and not be searchable on scietific names only etc.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Cool... will be most interesting to go and visit.

Hope they also have pictures whenever possible of the species...

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Apologies - but I just am bursting to say this:

Please don't let them have the eNATIS clowns develop their system.

:p

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Cool - deadly poisonous mushrooms.... :D Will try to stay away from these then ;)

Demo page is impressive - seems like one can go and do proper research on something... :)

Tux

Software Communist
Now there's a website that I can definitly use, and will use a lot...

They should have made it like a kind of wiki. Will take a long time if they are going to do everything themselves. I hope it will contain all species and not only those alive today. Fossil finds will also be nice, maybe a section dedicated to fossils.

Claymore

Executive Member
They should have made it like a kind of wiki. Will take a long time if they are going to do everything themselves. I hope it will contain all species and not only those alive today. Fossil finds will also be nice, maybe a section dedicated to fossils.
I think one worry is that if it's going to be considered an impeccable scientific reference, it can't be edited by anyone. It looks like the criteria will be quite rigorous.

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
they should exclude us ,and i wonder if its fact that there is this amount of known species....the ocean the last frontier on our planet.

I think one worry is that if it's going to be considered an impeccable scientific reference, it can't be edited by anyone. It looks like the criteria will be quite rigorous.
They can allow scientists with the necessary qualifications to oversee it. Anything added must first be verified. I don't see how it will be impeccable if there's not enough people working on it that may take some shortcuts.
they should exclude us ,and i wonder if its fact that there is this amount of known species....the ocean the last frontier on our planet.
They can include these animals known as criminals. :D Yes, there's many unknown species and most of them are in the ocean. I wonder if that 1.8 million is species or sub-species. Don't think there's so many species.