Scrapping maths as a compulsory subject is bad news for South Africa – Expert

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Westaway said improving the quality of mathematics education in grades 7, 8, and 9 would have a positive effect, as opposed to removing the subject as a compulsory promotional requirement.

“South Africa’s education system resembles a conveyor belt of mediocrity rather than an investment in the future generation,” she said.
Away with your western thinking

Lupus

Honorary Master
Some people are good with numbers, some people aren't. The problem with forcing a person to try pass something they aren't good at isn't going to make them go oh I definitely needed to know how to do logarithms, also by the time kids are in grade 8 they should already know the basics.
The biggest problem with schools are, here's a box kid, FIFO, and a lot of kids when they fail perpetually they drop out.
Instead of finding what kids are good at and trying to nurture that, they are told you are an idiot and can't do maths, stay another year.

Craig

Honorary Master
So we can expect the next generation to be even more stupid then those currently coming out of school. What would the purpose of that be? You need at least a very good basic understanding of math in life.

SilverCode

They just want to make sure when the masses hear "The Zuptas stole 1 billion rand", they don't know how much that actually is, so don't concern themselves with it, and continue to vote for them.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Ya'll act as if old SA match teaching was better, I got an FF for maths SG end of Std 9, had to go to LG (thus a new teacher) and there I kept getting As and A+s... had lots of bad maths teachers, starting from Std 5

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
If anything they should work at making math more relevant and interesting. There's a lot of math that most people never use day to day - things like trigonometry and geometry should be less focused on than more relevant subjects like probability and stats. And ffs teach kids the reason for learning what they're learning. So much of school-taught math is done without any context - it's this arbitrary language kids never speak outside of math class - it's no wonder so many just don't grok it.

Learning math as an adult has been a pleasurable experience. If I don't understand the way an idea is been presented to me I can switch you one of a hundred youtube channels and get a different perspective. I can then take as much time as I need to work through a problem - I'm not stuck in a class where such time isn't really afforded.

Keep math in schools, but evolve the way it's taught.

Last edited:

CorrieV2.0

Banned
I mean look at the head of state and tell me again how this surprises you? They love Zuma so much they want to educate all the children in his obese image.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If anything they should work at making math more relevant and interesting. There's a lot of math that most people never use day to day - things like trigonometry and geometry should be less focused on than more relevant subjects like probability and stats. And ffs teach kids the reason for learning what they're learning. So much of school-taught math is done without any context - it's this arbitrary language kids never speak outside of math class - it's no wonder so many just don't grok it.

Learning math as an adult has been a pleasurable experience. If I don't understand the way an idea is been presented to me I can switch you one of a hundred youtube channels and get a different perspective. I can then take as much time as I need to work through a problem - I'm not stuck in a class where such time isn't really afforded.

Keep math in schools, but evolve the way it's taught.
Indeed, trigonometry sure came in handy during trigonometry filing season...

Lupus

Honorary Master
So we can expect the next generation to be even more stupid then those currently coming out of school. What would the purpose of that be? You need at least a very good basic understanding of math in life.
And anything passed Grade 8 is past the normal basics that a person needs to know.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
Next thing is that they will start complaining that our Universities are discriminating because mathematics is a prerequisite.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
And anything passed Grade 8 is past the normal basics that a person needs to know.
Depends. Do you want them to be able to count the change they get at Checkers or do you want them to be competitive in a globalised world?