pkid

Expert Member
Oh look. It happened it spite of government. Where are the state funded cables? Infraco anyone?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
W00t...

Finally a private(ish) company shows guavamint how things are actually done.

CodeMaster

Expert Member
I will reserve comment until it is completed, and when they realease some prices.

Definately won't do any harm...

ads

Has anyone else out there seen Neotel's new cable runs and manholes in Mtunzini?

Ivan...

Expert Member
YaY!
I always wondered who would get laid first
SEACOM, EASSy or Ivy..

looks like SEACOM won, Ivy will have to consider loadshedding if she wants to beat EASSy

Last edited:

ambo

Expert Member
I will reserve comment until it is completed, and when they realease some prices.
What is this obsession with seeing pricing - unless you are part of some large ISP or Telco you are unlikely to see any figures.

That said - TENET was recently quoted saying that they were going to be spending the same on their SEACOM circuit that they are currently spending on their SAT3 circuit and getting 50 times the capacity.

antowan

Honorary Master
He said the laying of the cable will start in 10 months, when the cable has been completed, and that it will be ready for service in June 2009.

Making the cable doesn't take that long. Do these people think we don't watch Discovery Channel, or what?!!? ;)

That line is what worries me. The laying of the cable is the quick bit. The construction of landing facilities might be a bigger problem. This tells me that they are giving themselves time (10 months) to see if Ivy will be the bull in the china shop or not...

I am betting she will be, in which case they don't lose the bulk of their investment.

CodeMaster

Expert Member
I was talking about reduced prices from ISP's. Until SEACOM is operational, and offering competition to SAT3 (Telkom), it is all speculation.

All I have heard is how they are going to be X times cheaper... until they ARE, I refuse to be optimistic.

antowan

Honorary Master
YaY!
SEACOM, EASSy or Ivy..

looks like SEACOM won, Ivy will have to consider loadshedding if she wants to beat EASSy

ROFL!!! :D Best joke in a while!

Tomasz-London

I've done some basic calculations on cost at R3513 per Mbit.
What is the current cost Tiefkom charges?
Can somebody explain the download speed at a contention ratio of 20:1?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
expected to be completed by June 2009

Nice one, but now more waiting..... It'll be a while yet before we see any great price reductions :(

cyberarmy

Expert Member
So we still need to wait till like 2010 before most of these undersea cable will be completed.........

biltonguy

I'm not so certain. What incentive does Seacom have to cut prices so much? Why would they be so much cheaper than SAT3 if they dont have to be?

ebe9

YaY!
SEACOM, EASSy or Ivy..

Nice one :D

And w00t for the Seacom cable :)