SEACOM - "Blatant extortion and a cover-up"

Thor

Honorary Master
Like I said in the previous post, it's a good thing Seacom is not the only dog in town.

I wonder if this will prompt Orange and MTN to jump at the opportunity.

Swa

Honorary Master
Easy solution. Explain to Seacom customers who the problem is.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
the company said the decision to move from open to selective peering was based solely on its commitment to protecting the quality of its network.
The quality of a network is based on internal due diligence not on external peering. This statement is illogical - just tell the truth - you trying to rip the ZA ISPs a new one...

j4ck455

Executive Member
Fialkov said SEACOM may hope that the customers of other ISPs, who have been de-peered, will now migrate to them to access the content on its network as efficiently as before.
I'm fairly sure this will backfire on SEACOM with customers choosing not to renew their contracts with SEACOM and migrating to a competing undersea cable operator.

And on a positive note, SEACOM should be congratulated for very effectively shotgunning its own bunghole.

kilos

Expert Member
We route to seacom customers via Openserve IP Transit, till OS decide to route seacom traffic internationally.
I agree with J4ck455, this non-strategic move will backfire big time on Seacom.
Customers will start seeing increased latency, more hops, poor performance.
Mark Tinka , I hope you will stand by your decision , on Commercial trumps Free Peering.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
We route to seacom customers via Openserve IP Transit, till OS decide to route seacom traffic internationally.
Mark Tinka , I hope you will stand by your decision , on Commercial trumps Free Peering.
Is Telkom sending traffic internationally or is it Seacom with a local pref in London?

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
What SEACOM must realise is that they are not the only undersea cable supplier out there! Equiano and Metiss is on its way and will be much faster to make use of.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
They figure they can make money, for nothing, they must go for it, and good luck to them. When it bites them, they must not cry.

EasyComs

Swa

Honorary Master
What SEACOM must realise is that they are not the only undersea cable supplier out there! Equiano and Metiss is on its way and will be much faster to make use of.
This isn't about their cable. With their cable you buy access through a consortium partner. That doesn't change. Imo they should have stuck with what they did semi well and not try to play isp as they really aren't one and simply purchased the division from someone else.

kilos

Expert Member
Is Telkom sending traffic internationally or is it Seacom with a local pref in London?
Openserve routing Seacom local traffic via their IX link in Cape Town (ie MacroLAN IP 154.70.217.155)

Last edited:

lizl