Seacom Durban-Cape Town link detailed

cenredash

Expert Member
The cable could take 12 months to finish and Seacom has currently budgeted a maximum $100-million (US) to build the cable, Simpson added.

What? Like those guys that do illegal electricity hook-ups in the townships? Would cost them 2 grand, 4 days work, no problem.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Asked what effect its sub-sea connection from Mtunzini to Cape Town will have on South Africa’s broadband market, Simpson said that it will continue Seacom’s role in transforming the international connectivity market in Africa.

Translation of answer: "I don't want to answer your question, but we are like lank awesome, yeah!"

Bern

Expert Member
This is kind of cool, mess reliance on the land based national backhaul for CT and DBN peeps, both CT and Durban have started delivering metro fibre and will no doubt be expanding. My guess is a wireless ISP could provide international connectivity with full redundancy (WACs, SAT3, Seacom and EASSY) without touching the Telkom/Neotel/IS/etc terrestrial networks. For local they can peer at Terraco in each with all the guys that do free peering and for the rest use international bandwidth.

ponder

Honorary Master
This is kind of cool, mess reliance on the land based national backhaul for CT and DBN peeps, both CT and Durban have started delivering metro fibre and will no doubt be expanding. My guess is a wireless ISP could provide international connectivity with full redundancy (WACs, SAT3, Seacom and EASSY) without touching the Telkom/Neotel/IS/etc terrestrial networks. For local they can peer at Terraco in each with all the guys that do free peering and for the rest use international bandwidth.

Nothing wrong with the terrestrial backhaul between mtunzini & malkbos. SAT3/SAFE however have both.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Seacom is kinda being forced to do this due to the frequent outages at the North End of their existing cable (Usually in Egypt).
Now they can simply route traffic the other way through their network, completing the circle.

Bern

Expert Member
Nothing wrong with the terrestrial backhaul between mtunzini & malkbos. SAT3/SAFE however have both.

As far as I understood national backhaul is the most expensive part for any ISP?? I am not saying there is a problem, rather that this introduces a new cost option in to the mix for certain ISPs, ADSL would be affected less, but it should still make for slightly cheaper rates from CT to the east cost cable systems.